Judge tosses man's claim of ownership of Facebook

Apr 02, 2014

A federal judge has officially closed the book on a New York man's multibillion-dollar lawsuit claiming half-ownership of Facebook.

Judge Richard Arcara has granted Facebook and founder Mark Zuckerberg's motion to dismiss Paul Ceglia's (SEHG'-lee-uhz) lawsuit.

Last week's ruling affirms a magistrate judge's recommendation from a year ago saying the lawsuit should be thrown out because the contract Ceglia based it on was faked.

Ceglia is from Wellsville. He claimed he and Zuckerberg signed a 2003 software development contract that included a provision entitling him to half-ownership of Facebook in exchange for startup money for the budding company.

Facebook lawyers say the two had a contract but references to Facebook were slipped in for the lawsuit.

Ceglia awaits trial on related criminal fraud charges. He has pleaded not guilty.

Explore further: It's down to the wire for online shopping

4 /5 (1 vote)
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Facebook poised to seek end to NY man's lawsuit

Aug 17, 2011

(AP) -- Facebook attorneys appear poised to ask a judge to throw out a western New York man's lawsuit claiming ownership in the social network after finding what they say is proof the case is baseless.

NY man suing Facebook fined $5,000 by court

Jan 11, 2012

(AP) -- A New York man who's suing for part ownership of Facebook has been fined $5,000 by a federal judge for failing to fully comply with an order to turn over his email account information.

Recommended for you

It's down to the wire for online shopping

1 hour ago

As the holiday shopping season winds down, FedEx, UPS and online retailers are using the last few days to try to avoid the problems that occurred last year when severe winter weather and a surge in late orders ...

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

Dec 21, 2014

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.