MtGox gives up rebuilding under bankruptcy protection: report

Apr 16, 2014

Failed Bitcoin exchange Mt Gox has given up its plan to rebuild under bankruptcy protection and has asked a Tokyo court that it be liquidated, Dow Jones Newswires reported Wednesday.

Reasons for the decision are the complexity of the procedures involved, including the difficulty of holding meetings with creditors spread around the world, the report said, citing "people familiar with the situation".

If the request is approved by the court, a trustee will be appointed to take over management of the company's assets from its , Mark Karpeles.

The Tokyo-based exchange filed for in Japan in February, saying it had lost 850,000 coins worth nearly $500 million at the time.

It said last month it had handed over documents to the Tokyo police, after it found 200,000 of the lost coins in a "cold wallet"—a storage device, such as a , that is not connected to other computers.

The announcement could indicate Japanese police have launched a criminal investigation into the huge loss of the digital currency.

The company filed for protection under US law early last month, 10 days after doing the same in Japan.

MtGox, which at one time reportedly processed 80 percent of global Bitcoin transactions, froze withdrawals in early February because of what it said was a bug in the software underpinning Bitcoin that allowed hackers to pilfer them.

Officials of Mt Gox were not immediately available to comment on the reported liquidation request.

Explore further: MtGox says co-operating with Tokyo police

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

MtGox says co-operating with Tokyo police

Mar 26, 2014

Failed Bitcoin exchange MtGox said Wednesday it has submitted "electronic records" and other documents to the Tokyo police after it collapsed in February admitting losing half a billion dollars' worth of the digital currency.

MtGox opens call centre after $500m Bitcoin loss

Mar 03, 2014

The MtGox Bitcoin exchange, which last week sought bankruptcy protection in Japan, opened a helpline for anxious customers on Monday after unveiling a massive loss in a possible theft.

Recommended for you

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

2 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

3 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

17 hours ago

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

23 hours ago

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.