Obama puts forward plan ending NSA bulk collection (Update)

Mar 27, 2014
US President Barack Obama speaks to the press at Villa Madama in Rome, on March 27, 2014

President Barack Obama put forward a long-awaited plan Thursday to end the US government's bulk collection of telephone records, aiming to defuse a controversy over surveillance on millions of Americans.

Responding to a global outcry over the National Security Agency's extensive eavesdropping programs, Obama's plan would require telephone companies to hold data for the same length of time they currently do, with government agencies allowed to access it with court approval.

The formal announcement represents the president's proposals to reform procedures at the NSA, which was rocked by disclosures about its activities in documents leaked by former intelligence contractor Edward Snowden.

"I have decided that the best path forward is that the government should not collect or hold this data in bulk," Obama said in a White House statement.

Obama said his plan, which needs congressional approval, would tread a line that allows the government to conduct surveillance to thwart terror attacks while also addressing the public's privacy concerns.

But civil liberties groups said the president's proposals on data collection failed to answer key details and they were skeptical if substantive changes would occur.

'Emergency' exceptions

The White House said the NSA would need a court order to access the data, except in "an emergency situation" it did not define.

In those circumstances, the court would be asked to approve requests based on specific telephone numbers "based on national security concerns," it added.

Bays of equipment line the 2G area at an AT&T mobile telephone switching office on October 25, 2012 in Charlotte, North Carolina

"This approach will best ensure that we have the information we need to meet our intelligence needs while enhancing public confidence in the manner in which the information is collected and held," Obama said.

Because the new plan would not be in place by a March 28 expiration date, the president said he would seek a 90-day reauthorization of the existing program from the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court, with some modifications he ordered in January.

"I am confident that this approach can provide our intelligence and law enforcement professionals the information they need to keep us safe while addressing the legitimate privacy concerns that have been raised," he said.

A trove of disclosures by Snowden, now a fugitive granted temporary exile in Russia, resulted in widespread condemnation of spying efforts at home and abroad, given the vast capabilities of America's intelligence programs.

Officials have defended the methods as necessary to thwart attacks on US and foreign soil, but the sheer scope of the NSA's domestic activities divided opinion.

"We hope the Congress can act swiftly," a senior US official said in a conference call explaining the plan.

A fact sheet released by the White House said that if the plan were implemented, "absent an emergency situation, the government would obtain the records only pursuant to individual orders from the FISC approving the use of specific numbers for such queries, if a judge agrees based on national security concerns."

Unsatisfied critics

Obama provided an outline for his plan earlier this week, eliciting guarded optimism from privacy and civil liberties activists, but Thursday's announcement left many NSA critics unsatisfied.

Amie Stepanovich at the digital rights group Access said Obama's plan is "a significant step forward," but "fails to address many of the problems with US government surveillance policies and programs, such as the double standard for citizens and those outside of the United States."

Obama's plan "does not go nearly far enough," David Segal of Demand Progress said, calling for measures to protect people's email and Internet communications.

And Alex Abdo at the American Civil Liberties Union said the planned changes could still allow surveillance to "balloon out of control."

"One of the most important details is whether we continue to allow the government to engage in the suspicionless surveillance of innocent Americans," Abdo said in a statement.

A bipartisan group of lawmakers this week proposed a plan similar to the president's, but some activists are pushing for deeper reforms to limit mass surveillance.

Explore further: Obama proposes to end NSA bulk data collection

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Obama proposes to end NSA bulk data collection

Mar 25, 2014

US President Barack Obama is proposing to end the National Security Agency's controversial bulk telephone data collection, exposed by fugitive intelligence contractor Edward Snowden.

Some Obama spy changes hampered by complications

Jan 20, 2014

Legal experts warn that several of the key surveillance reforms pushed by President Barack Obama face complications that could muddy the proposals' authority, slow their momentum in Congress and saddle the ...

Proposed spy phone record shift draws resistance

Jan 14, 2014

Telephone companies are quietly balking at the idea of changing how they collect and store Americans' phone records to help the National Security Agency's surveillance programs. They are worried about their exposure to lawsuits ...

Obama backs limits on NSA phone collections

Jan 17, 2014

President Barack Obama is ordering changes to the government's massive collection of phone records that he says will end the program "as it currently exists."

Obama nearing a decision on intelligence review

Jan 08, 2014

President Barack Obama is hosting a series of meetings this week with lawmakers, privacy advocates and intelligence officials as he nears a final decision on changes to the government's controversial surveillance programs.

Obama meets Internet bosses on surveillance (Update)

Mar 21, 2014

US President Barack Obama met bosses from Facebook, Google and other Internet giants Friday to discuss plans to overhaul US spy agency surveillance practices which have infuriated the industry.

Recommended for you

How to keep the world's eyes out of your webcam

12 hours ago

There are concerns that thousands of private webcams around the world could be streaming live images to anybody who wishes to view them – without their owner knowing – thanks to a Russian website provi ...

Britain urges Russia to shut down webcam spying site

Nov 20, 2014

A Russian website offering thousands of live feeds peering into bedrooms and offices around the world by accessing poorly secured webcams should be taken down immediately, British officials said on Thursday.

NSA Director: China can damage US power grid

Nov 20, 2014

China and "one or two" other countries are capable of mounting cyberattacks to shut down the electric grid in parts of the United States. That's according to Admiral Michael Rogers, the director of the National Security Agency ...

Some in NSA warned of a backlash

Nov 20, 2014

Current and former intelligence officials say dissenters within the National Security Agency warned in 2009 that secretly collecting American phone records wasn't providing enough intelligence to justify ...

Russia hacking site spying webcams worldwide: Britain

Nov 20, 2014

Britain's privacy watchdog on Thursday called on Russia to take down a site showing hacked live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world and warned it was planning "regulatory action".

Let's Encrypt certificate authority to launch 2015

Nov 19, 2014

Web encryption for free—tough deal to turn down? After all the instances of cyberattacks, snoopers and sophisticated surveillance, encryption technology has become especially appreciated and familiar to ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.