Nokia says handset sale to Microsoft delayed to April

Mar 24, 2014
The Nokia Lumia 920 (L) and 820 Windows smartphones are displayed during a joint event with Microsoft on September 5, 2012 in New York City

Finnish telecom company Nokia on Monday said the sale of its handset business to US technology giant Microsoft would be delayed by a few weeks until April 2014.

Nokia said that it continued to make progress with Microsoft in the closing conditions and the integration planning, but was still waiting for the approval of "certain antitrust authorities in Asia which are still conducting their reviews".

The European Commission already approved the takeover of the in December, seeing "only modest overlaps" between the two companies.

Once the world leader in mobile phones, Nokia lost its top place to South Korea's Samsung in 2012.

Explore further: Nokia, HTC end litigation proceedings

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

EU clears Microsoft Nokia mobile phone deal

Dec 04, 2013

The European Commission approved on Wednesday Microsoft's nearly 5.5-billion-euro takeover of the mobile phone business of Finland's Nokia which once dominated the global industry.

EU warns Nokia not to become 'patent troll'

Dec 09, 2013

Europe's top regulator has warned Nokia not to try to become a "patent troll" after the Finnish company sold most of its cellphone-making business to Microsoft Corp. this year but retained its patent portfolio.

India court frees Nokia plant for Microsoft sale

Dec 12, 2013

An Indian court Thursday released a major plant owned by Nokia seized over a multi-billion-dollar tax row, paving the way for the Finnish firm to include the factory in the sale of its mobile business to ...

Recommended for you

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

11 hours ago

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.