'Bosch' among six new original Amazon TV shows (Update)

Mar 31, 2014
Writer Michael Connelly poses at the 12th Annual L.A. Times Festival of Books on the U.C.L.A. campus on April 29, 2007 in Los An
Writer Michael Connelly poses at the 12th Annual L.A. Times Festival of Books on the U.C.L.A. campus on April 29, 2007 in Los Angeles, California

US online giant Amazon announced plans Monday for its own science fiction TV series and detective program based on writings of best-selling crime writer Michael Connelly for its streaming video service.

"Bosch", adapted from Connelly's novels featuring Los Angeles detective Harry Bosch is among six new original TV series being launched, Amazon said.

The move comes with Amazon ramping up efforts to boost its online streaming service which competes with Netflix, Hulu and other services.

Amazon joined the rush to online television last year with the political comedy "Alpha House" and Silicon Valley sitcom "Betas."

In February, Amazon rolled out 10 new pilot shows in the United States and Britain and invited customers to judge which ones should go into production.

"We had a tremendous response to Amazon Studios' latest pilots—in fact, double the number of customers watched these pilots compared to our first season and they posted thousands of heartfelt reviews with pleas for us to continue these shows," said Roy Price, director of Amazon Studios.

"Now the fun really begins—Amazon will be working with some of the most talented casts and creators in the business to bring six new shows exclusively to tens of millions of Prime members worldwide. These series, along with our summer kids programming, will give customers a lot of viewing choices."

The online streaming service is available to members of Amazon Prime, a subscription service which also offers benefits for retail shopping.

As well as "Bosch", the new programs selected include the science fiction series "The After," from "X-Files" creator Chris Carter.

Comedies include "Mozart in the Jungle" from Oscar nominee Roman Coppola, and director Jill Soloway's "Transparent," about a California family "with serious boundary issues."

For children, Amazon will release "Gortimer Gibbon's Life on Normal Street," a live action series for ages 6-11 and "Wishenpoof!" for preschoolers.

Amazon has scheduled a news event Wednesday in New York described as "an update to our video service," without elaborating.

Some analysts expect the company to release a new device similar to Google's Chromecast to make it easier to stream from a mobile device to large-screen television.

soe-rl/rcw

Explore further: Amazon unleashes 10 new TV pilots for customers to judge

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Amazon Studios to produce five original shows

May 29, 2013

(AP)—Amazon says it will start production on a pair of new comedy shows and three new kids shows to air later this year and early next year on its video streaming service.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

8 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

13 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

14 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.