Air testing at nuclear dump shows no contamination

March 10, 2014

The U.S. Department of Energy says new air testing in the nation's only underground nuclear repository shows no detectable radioactive contamination from a leak last month.

Officials at the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant near Carlsbad said Sunday that instruments used to measure and radioactivity were sent underground Friday and Saturday in the first step to resuming operations at the plant.

They say initial results indicate no contamination in the air or on the .

Federal officials say four more employees have tested positive for low levels of contamination, adding to the 13 tested immediately after the leak.

Authorities say none should suffer health effects.

WIPP officials say they may send personnel into the mine next week.

Sensors alerted officials to a release of radiation on Feb. 14.

Explore further: Radioactive leak in Finland prompts probe

Related Stories

Radioactive leak in Finland prompts probe

November 14, 2012

(AP)—Finland's safety agency has begun an investigation into a leak from a nickel mine that polluted nearby waters with levels of radiation three times what is considered safe.

13 were exposed to radiation at US plant

February 27, 2014

(AP)—Thirteen workers at a U.S. underground nuclear waste dump in New Mexico have tested positive for radiation exposure after a recent leak, raising questions about whether the facility's safety systems worked as well ...

Nuclear dump leak raises questions about cleanup

February 28, 2014

(AP)—Back-to-back accidents and a never-supposed-to-happen above-ground radiation release that exposed at least 13 workers have shuttered the U.S. government's only deep underground nuclear waste dump indefinitely.

Officials: No health risks for US nuke workers

March 6, 2014

(AP)—Thirteen employees who were exposed to radiation during a leak at the nation's only underground nuclear waste dump aren't likely to experience any health effects, federal officials said Wednesday.

Recommended for you

Amazon deforestation leaps 16 percent in 2015

November 28, 2015

Illegal logging and clearing of Brazil's Amazon rainforest increased 16 percent in the last year, the government said, in a setback to the aim of stopping destruction of the world's greatest forest by 2030.


Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.