Priming plant defenses with aspirin-like compound

Feb 14, 2014 by Jan Suszkiw
New ARS research suggests that a salicylic acid pretreatment may prevent or lessen infection of crop plants by potato purple top phytoplasma, a bacterium with no cell wall. Credit: Peggy Greb

For thousands of years, humankind has extracted salicylic acid from willow tree bark to alleviate minor pain, fever, and inflammation. Today, it's used in acne medication and wart removers, among other cosmetic products.

Now, findings by U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) scientists suggest salicylic acid may also offer "relief" to crop plants by priming their defenses against a microbial menace known as potato purple top phytoplasma, a bacterium that has no cell walls. Outbreaks of the bacterium in the fertile Columbia Basin region of the Pacific Northwest in 2002 and subsequent years inflicted severe potato yield and quality losses.

Carefully timed insecticide applications can deter beet leafhoppers from transmitting the phytoplasma while feeding. But once infected, the plant cannot be cured, according to Yan Zhao, a molecular biologist at the Molecular Plant Pathology Laboratory, operated in Beltsville, Md., by USDA's Agricultural Research Service (ARS).

In studies there, Zhao and his colleagues have collected evidence that pre-treating tomato plants—a relative of potato—with salicylic acid can prevent phytoplasma infections from occurring or at least diminish their severity.

For their research, published in the July 2012 Annals of Applied Biology, the team used an experimental group of potted tomato seedlings and a second group of the plants, called the control group, for comparison. The experimental group received two salicylic acid treatments—the first via a spray solution four weeks after the seedlings had been planted, and the second via a root drench two days before phytoplasma-infected scions were grafted onto the plants' stems to induce disease. The wasn't treated.

The team visually checked for disease symptoms and analyzed leaf samples for the phytoplasma's unique DNA fingerprint, which turned up in 94 percent of samples from untreated plants and 47 percent of treated ones. Significantly, the remaining 53 percent of treated were symptom- and pathogen-free 40 days after exposure to the infected scions.

Researchers credit with triggering systemic acquired resistance, a kind of general readiness state that primes plant defenses against pending microbial or insect attack.

Explore further: Sex chromosomes—why the Y genes matter

More information: Read more about this research in the February 2014 issue of Agricultural Research magazine.

Related Stories

Microbes help beetles defeat plant defenses

Sep 09, 2013

Some symbiotic bacteria living inside Colorado potato beetles can trick plants into reacting to a microbial attack rather than that of a chewing herbivore, according to a team of Penn State researchers who ...

'Fountain of youth' for leaves discovered

Aug 23, 2013

What plant scientists call senescence, consumers experience as wilted produce and overripe fruit. A team led by Cornell horticulture professor Su-Sheng Gan has identified an enzymatic fountain of youth that ...

Recommended for you

Bacteria study could have agricultural impact

51 minutes ago

Wichita State University microbiology professor Mark Schneegurt and ornithology professor Chris Rogers have discovered that one of North America's most common migratory birds – the Dark-eyed Junco – carries ...

Sex chromosomes—why the Y genes matter

12 hours ago

Several genes have been lost from the Y chromosome in humans and other mammals, according to research published in the open access journal Genome Biology. The study shows that essential Y genes are rescue ...

Better mouse model enables colon cancer research

May 27, 2015

Every day, it seems, someone in some lab is "curing cancer." Well, it's easy to kill cancer cells in a lab, but in a human, it's a lot more complicated, which is why nearly all cancer drugs fail clinical ...

How to get high-quality RNA from chemically complex plants

May 26, 2015

Ask any molecular plant biologist about RNA extractions and you might just open up the floodgates to the woes of troubleshooting. RNA extraction is a notoriously tricky and sensitive lab procedure. New protocols out of the ...

Plant fertility—how hormones get around

May 26, 2015

Researchers at Tokyo Institute of Technology have identified a transporter protein at the heart of a number of plant processes associated with fertility and possibly aging.

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.