German court throws out lawsuits against Apple

Feb 28, 2014

A German court threw out on Friday two copyright violation lawsuits against US tech giant Apple by German firm IPCom.

"Both suits were rejected. IPCom can now appeal against the verdict," a spokesman for the court in Mannheim told AFP.

German patent-holding company IPCom had been seeking 1.57 billion euros ($2.0 billion) in damages from Apple for allegedly infringing a patent it holds on that allows priority access to certain mobile phone calls even when a network is saturated.

IPCom acquired the patent from German engineering company Bosch in 2007.

The European Patent Office recently confirmed that IPCom owned the patent, which had been contested by several firms.

The Mannheim court also threw out a similar lawsuit by IPCom against the Taiwanese mobile phone maker HTC.

Explore further: German court to rule on Apple lawsuit end-February

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Apple risks hefty fee in Germany patent trial

Feb 05, 2014

Apple is caught up in a new patent battle in Germany, risking a 1.5-billion-euro fine at a trial over the iPhone's emergency phone-dialling feature, the regional court of Mannheim said on Wednesday.

German court dismisses Apple, Samsung lawsuits

Mar 02, 2012

(AP) -- A German court has dismissed patent lawsuits by technology giants Apple and Samsung against each other in the two companies' battle over the market for smartphones and tablet devices.

Court dismisses Nokia patent claims against HTC

Mar 09, 2013

Taiwan's top smartphone maker HTC said on Saturday a German court had dismissed two patent infringement complaints brought against the company by Finnish phone giant Nokia.

Recommended for you

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

38 minutes ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

1 hour ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

15 hours ago

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

21 hours ago

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.