China's Lenovo aims for third in global smartphone market

Feb 13, 2014
CEO of Chinese computer giant Lenovo, Yang Yuanqing, pictured during a press conference in Hong Kong, on May 21, 2009

The chairman of Chinese computer giant Lenovo pledged on Thursday to make the company the world's third-biggest smartphone seller following an acquisition binge as the firm announced a 30 percent profit surge.

Lenovo, already the world's largest personal computer vendor, snapped up US telecom firm Motorola Mobility for $2.91 billion and IBM's low-end server business for $2.3 billion within days of each other last month.

"We will become the number three smartphone player in the world," Lenovo Chairman Yang Yuanqing told journalists on a conference call. "With the combined business of Motorola smartphone and Lenovo smartphone, we will have much larger scale."

That would put it in position to challenge US tech giant Apple, maker of the iPhone, which is currently the global number two behind South Korea's Samsung.

Lenovo is seeking to grow its business in the highly competitive smartphone market as consumers shift away from personal computers to mobile devices.

The Chinese firm was ranked fifth in the global smartphone market last year with a 4.5 percent share, trailing Samsung, Apple, compatriot Huawei and South Korea's LG, according to market research firm IDC.

But analysts say Motorola is deeply unprofitable with losses approaching $1 billion and some question whether Lenovo can turn the business around.

Advertising for Chinese technology giant Lenovo, seen in Hong Kong, on February 4, 2014

Lenovo's Hong Kong-listed shares have slumped around 14 percent since the Motorola deal was announced. At midday on Thursday, the stock was down 0.46 percent on the day at HK$8.64 ($1.11).

The company announced net profit in October-December—its fiscal third quarter—jumped 30 percent year-on-year to $265 million, helped by laptop sales, according to a statement. Revenue rose 15 percent on the year to $10.8 billion.

Lenovo plans to re-launch the Motorola smartphone brand in China as well as other emerging markets, Yang said. Analysts say its acquisition of the firm also gives the Chinese firm a larger foothold in the United States.

In China, Lenovo is already in second place with a 12.5 percent share of the smartphone market, behind only Samsung with 18.4 percent, as of September, according to consultancy Analysys International.

Yang defended the two rapid acquisitions, saying they presented rare opportunities for the Chinese company. Lenovo also bought IBM's PC in 2005.

"We have made a lot of acquisitions before. We know how to manage the integration and products, how to manage the challenge and the risk," he said.

Explore further: Google buys 5.94% stake in Lenovo

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Google buys 5.94% stake in Lenovo

Feb 07, 2014

Google bought a 5.94 percent stake in Lenovo for $750 million on the same day it agreed to sell handset maker Motorola to the Chinese technology giant, a report said Friday.

Lenovo signals 'global ambitions' with Motorola deal

Feb 02, 2014

In 1984, with only $25,000 in Chinese government funding and a dusty 20-square-metre bungalow as their headquarters, a small group of scientists in Beijing founded a firm called New Technology Developer Inc.

Lenovo profit up 36 percent as mobile grows

Nov 07, 2013

Lenovo Group, the biggest personal computer maker, said Thursday its latest quarterly profit rose 36 percent as sales of smartphones and tablet computers more than doubled.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

10 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

15 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

16 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.