Apple risks hefty fee in Germany patent trial

Feb 05, 2014
The Apple logo is seen outside the store in Beijing on December 22, 2013

Apple is caught up in a new patent battle in Germany, risking a 1.5-billion-euro fine at a trial over the iPhone's emergency phone-dialling feature, the regional court of Mannheim said on Wednesday.

German patent-holding company IPCom is demanding 1.57 billion euros ($2.0 billion) in damages from the California-based giant in a trial set to start February 11 that involves two patents.

The European Patent Office recently approved the validity of one of the patents, which was contested by several firms, including Apple, according to reports.

The IDG news service, which covers technology, said that IPCom has a portfolio of around 1,200 patents in the mobile communications sector.

The IPCom patent at the heart of the case, bought from engineering company Robert Bosch GmbH in 2007, allows priority access to certain mobile phone calls even when a network is saturated.

The case is just one of many patent battles that have waged worldwide, but especially in Germany, where laws are particularly strict.

Explore further: Twitter gets 900 patents, ends dispute with IBM (Update)

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Jury ends Day 2 of Samsung-Apple deliberations

Nov 21, 2013

Jurors failed to reach a decision Wednesday and will return for a third day of deliberations to determine how much Samsung Electronics owes Apple for copying key features of the iPhone and iPad.

EU warns Nokia not to become 'patent troll'

Dec 09, 2013

Europe's top regulator has warned Nokia not to try to become a "patent troll" after the Finnish company sold most of its cellphone-making business to Microsoft Corp. this year but retained its patent portfolio.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

19 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 1

Adjust slider to filter visible comments by rank

Display comments: newest first

VENDItardE
1 / 5 (1) Feb 05, 2014
f germany

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.