Google must wipe ex-Formula One boss orgy photos, German court orders

Jan 24, 2014
Max Mosley answers journalists' questions as he leaves FIA headquarters in Paris on September 21, 2009

A German court ruled Friday that Google must block photos of a sadomasochistic orgy involving former Formula One boss Max Mosley.

The said the six images taken from a video of the orgy that was filmed by Britain's now defunct News of the World tabloid seriously breached Mosley's privacy.

Google must prevent the pictures being shown on its German-based .de site, including via links on its search engine, the court in the northern city of Hamburg ruled.

"In the court's view the pictures offered seriously violate the plaintiff's privacy," said judge Simone Kaefer.

The ruling is the latest in a string of legal battles waged by 73-year-old Mosley related to the publication of the video and a 2008 article published by the Rupert Murdoch-owned British newspaper alleging it was a Nazi-themed orgy.

Mosley successfully took the publisher of the newspaper to court over the Nazi claim, winning £60,000 (73,000 euros, $99,500) in damages when the judge ruled there was no Nazi element.

In November a French court also ordered Google to prevent its from providing links to images of the orgy, prompting the US company to immediately announce it would appeal.

Google argued in the French case that the court's decision raised fears of costly and heavy-handed automated censorship of the Internet.

Explore further: Google privacy case can be heard in UK, court rules

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Germany: Mosley takes on Google in privacy fight

Sep 28, 2012

(AP)—Former Formula One boss Max Mosley is suing Google, claiming the search engine is breaking German privacy laws by providing links to websites hosting a hidden-camera video of him at a sadomasochistic sex party.

Recommended for you

Digital dilemma: How will US respond to Sony hack?

10 hours ago

The detective work blaming North Korea for the Sony hacker break-in appears so far to be largely circumstantial, The Associated Press has learned. The dramatic conclusion of a Korean role is based on subtle ...

UN General Assembly OKs digital privacy resolution

14 hours ago

The U.N. General Assembly has approved a resolution demanding better digital privacy protections for people around the world, another response to Edward Snowden's revelations about U.S. government spying.

Online privacy to remain thorny issue: survey

15 hours ago

Online privacy will remain a thorny issue over the next decade, without a widely accepted system that balances user rights and personal data collection, a survey of experts showed Thursday.

Spain: Google News vanishes amid 'Google Tax' spat

Dec 16, 2014

Google on Tuesday followed through with a pledge to shut down Google News in Spain in reaction to a Spanish law requiring news publishers to receive payment for content even if they are willing to give it away.

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.