Carl Icahn snaps up another $500M of Apple stock

Jan 23, 2014

Outspoken billionaire Carl Icahn has tossed another bushel of Apple stock into his investment portfolio as he tries to persuade the iPhone maker to buy back more of its own shares.

Icahn says he invested another $500 million in Apple Inc. in a series of purchases made Thursday. With the latest shopping spree, Icahn has spent $1 billion on Apple stock during the past weeks to raise his total holdings in the Cupertino, Calif., to $3.6 billion. That represents a stake of less than 1 percent in Apple, which has a of about $500 billion.

Apple's stock has fallen by about 20 percent from its peak reached 16 months ago. Icahn believes Apple's stock will bounce back if the company spends more money buying back its stock.

Explore further: Icahn says he has $3bn in Apple stock (Update)

2.5 /5 (2 votes)
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Icahn says he has $3bn in Apple stock (Update)

Jan 22, 2014

Activist investor Carl Icahn said Wednesday he has invested some $3 billion in Apple, and claimed the tech giant is "doing a disservice to shareholders" by not increasing its share buyback.

Recommended for you

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

13 hours ago

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.