Blackberry says it will sell Canadian real estate

Jan 21, 2014 by The Associated Press

Blackberry plans to sell most of its Canadian real estate holdings as it works to shore up its business under new management.

The troubled smartphone maker says it plans to sell most of its commercial real estate holdings through sale-leaseback and vacant asset sales. But it says it remains committed to Waterloo, Ontario, as its headquarters.

BlackBerry pioneered the smartphone in 1999 and dominated for years but since the late 2000s the has been hammered by competition from the iPhone as well as Android-based rivals.

Under new CEO John Chen, BlackBerry has been working to turn around its . Last month, the company entered into a five-year partnership with a Taiwanese company in an agreement that will offload much of BlackBerry's manufacturing costs.

Explore further: Fairfax ups investment in troubled BlackBerry

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Fairfax ups investment in troubled BlackBerry

Jan 08, 2014

Fairfax Financial Holdings is buying another $250 million of convertible debt in troubled Blackberry in what Fairfax's president says is a sign of confidence in the company's new management.

BlackBerry, Facebook 'met over potential bid'

Oct 30, 2013

BlackBerry executives met with their counterparts at Facebook last week over a potential bid for the struggling Canadian phone-maker, The Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday.

Recommended for you

'Interview' ordeal at Sony just its latest crisis

53 minutes ago

How do you say "damage control" in Japanese? Sony Corp. is sealed within a hermetic cone of silence as executives try to prevent the slow motion train wreck at Sony Pictures from damaging the rest of the ...

Underfire Uber ramps up rider safety

17 hours ago

Uber is ramping up driver background checks and other security measures worldwide after the smartphone-focused car-sharing service was banned in New Delhi following the alleged rape of a passenger.

Sony cancels NKorea parody film release after threats

17 hours ago

Hollywood studio Sony Pictures on Wednesday abruptly canceled the December 25 release date of "The Interview," a parody film which has angered North Korea and triggered chilling threats from hackers.

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.