Netflix ends anti-takeover measure two years early

Dec 30, 2013

Netflix says it's ending a move meant to help ward off hostile takeovers almost two years early.

The online video company adopted the shareholder rights plan, also known as a poison pill, in November 2012 after activist investor Carl Icahn disclosed a stake of almost 10 percent in the company.

The poison pill was scheduled to expire in November 2015, but the company terminated it effective Monday.

According to FactSet, Icahn now owns a 4.5 percent stake in Netflix Inc.

Netflix stock fell 51 cents to close at $366.99 on Monday. The Los Gatos, Calif.-based company's shares have nearly quadrupled in value this year.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Netflix moves to block a hostile takeover (Update)

Nov 05, 2012

(AP)—Netflix is moving to protect itself against hostile takeovers, less than a week after activist investor Carl Icahn disclosed that he has accumulated a stake of nearly 10 percent in the online video ...

Carl Icahn's stake in Nuance grows to 16.9 pct.

Sep 01, 2013

Billionaire investor Carl Icahn has raised his stake in Nuance Communications over the past month to almost 17 percent, nearing a threshold that would trigger defensive mechanisms to thwart a hostile takeover.

Southeastern takes 12 pct stake in News Corp.

Sep 11, 2013

Southeastern Asset Management Inc., the investment firm that along with activist investor Carl Icahn opposed the proposed buyout of Dell Inc., disclosed that it has taken a nearly 12 percent stake in News Corp.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

9 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

14 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

15 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.