Ford plans 23 new cars, 11,000 new jobs in 2014

Dec 12, 2013 by Dee-Ann Durbin

Ford Motor Co. says it will hire more than 11,000 people in the U.S. and Asia next year to support an aggressive rollout of new vehicles.

Joe Hinrichs, Ford's president of the Americas, said the company plans to hire 5,000 workers in the U.S.—including 3,300 white-collar staff like engineers—and 6,000 workers in Asia. Many of those hires will work at two new plants that are opening in China.

This will be the most people Ford has hired in one year since 2000, the company said.

Hinrichs said 2014 will be the busiest product year in Ford's 111-year history, with 23 being introduced around the world. Of those, 16 will be sold in the U.S., including a new Mustang sports car, Transit Connect van and Lincoln MKC small utility.

Ford has had some quality problems with vehicles launched in the last two years. The new Lincoln MKZ sedan was delayed in the spring to fix some quality issues, and Ford recently recalled its Escape SUV for the seventh time, this time to fix oil and fuel leaks.

Hinrichs said Ford has spent the last year improving its processes so those issues won't mar vehicle launches in 2014.

Hinrichs made the announcement at an event to introduce a new Ford research vehicle that's testing driverless technology. The car—a souped-up Fusion hybrid sedan—has four sensors, developed by the University of Michigan, that can track moving objects by the light reflected from them. It uses that data to make three-dimensional maps and tell the car if an object is in the way.

Raj Nair, head of global product development for Ford, said the car is unique because it integrates the sensor data with advanced features that are already offered today, including a collision warning system and blind-spot detection. Some other being tested don't have those features, he said.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

4 /5 (2 votes)
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Ford buys software startup Livio

Sep 26, 2013

Ford Motor Co. said Thursday that it acquired the startup company Livio in a bid to accelerate its efforts to help drivers safely access content on their smartphone while on the road.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

5 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

10 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

11 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.