Charter to bid below $135 a share for TW Cable

Dec 13, 2013 by Ryan Nakashima

Cable TV operator Charter Communications Inc. is preparing to send a letter offering to buy the much larger Time Warner Cable Inc. for below $135 per share as early as Monday.

That's according to a person familiar with the matter, who was unauthorized to speak publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.

The news was reported earlier by The New York Times' DealBook blog.

The offer would value Time Warner Cable at up to $38 billion, and represents a small premium to the company's closing price at $131.41 on Friday. But shares have risen from the mid-$90s in June, largely on takeover speculation.

The person said the offer would be in cash and stock and that Charter has lined up $25 billion in debt to help finance the deal.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

CBS blasts Time Warner Cable offer to end fight

Aug 06, 2013

CBS chief executive Les Moonves blasted an offer from Time Warner Cable to end a blackout over fees that lingered into its fifth day Tuesday, calling it a clever public relations ploy.

Time Warner Cable profit up 18 pct in 1Q

Apr 26, 2012

(AP) -- Time Warner Cable Inc. reported an 18 percent increase in first-quarter net income Thursday, as acquisitions and new broadband customers boosted revenue.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

5 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

10 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

11 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.