China Mobile denies iPhone deal reached with Apple (Update)

Dec 05, 2013
A customer selects mobile phones at a China Telecom store in Wuhan, in central China's Hubei province on August 21, 2013

China Mobile, the world's biggest wireless operator, said Thursday it is still negotiating with US technology giant Apple over offering iPhones on its huge network and that a deal has yet to be reached.

The Wall Street Journal quoted unnamed sources as saying that the two companies have inked an agreement to add iPhones to the colossal telecom firm's roster of compatible devices later this month.

But China Mobile—which has more than 700 million subscribers—denied the report.

"Talks between China Mobile and Apple on cooperation are still going on and we currently do not have anything to announce," the carrier's spokeswoman Rainie Lei told AFP.

No further information was provided.

China Mobile has a unique 3G standard of its own that is not compatible with any existing iPhone models, although the Californian giant's handsets can be used on other networks in China.

Negotiations between Apple and China Mobile have been going on for years, with one key hurdle reportedly being the US firm's demand for sales volume guarantees.

A deal would be a boon for Apple, which has seen its global market share slip and has made the Chinese market a priority.

China Mobile also is keen to sell iPhones to strengthen its edge over smaller rivals China Unicom and China Telecom.

The Chinese government on Wednesday granted the three operators, all state-owned, licences to offer services on the faster and better quality 4G network, expected to usher in a new era of competition between mobile phone makers.

China Mobile's shares rose 0.5 percent to close at HK$84.7 ($11) in Hong Kong on Thursday.

Explore further: China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

China Mobile in talks with Apple over iPhone

May 16, 2012

China Mobile, the world's biggest mobile operator by subscribers, said Wednesday the company is in talks with Apple to offer the popular iPhone to its users in the Asian nation.

China Telecom profit up 20 percent on 3G users

Oct 28, 2013

State-owned China Telecom, the country's third-biggest mobile phone operator by subscribers, said Monday that quarterly profit grew by a fifth as it continued to benefit from spending by new users of data-hungry iPhones.

China issues 4G mobile licences

Dec 04, 2013

China has issued licences for "fourth generation", or 4G, mobile phone services, the government said Wednesday, in a move to boost economic growth and job creation.

China Telecom profit falls 9.5 percent

Mar 20, 2013

State-owned China Telecom Corp. said Wednesday that profit fell 9.5 percent last year because it spent more to market the iPhone as it battled rivals for higher-paying customers.

Recommended for you

It's down to the wire for online shopping

2 hours ago

As the holiday shopping season winds down, FedEx, UPS and online retailers are using the last few days to try to avoid the problems that occurred last year when severe winter weather and a surge in late orders ...

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

Dec 21, 2014

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.