Qualcomm says China launches antitrust probe

Nov 25, 2013
Dr. Paul E. Jacobs, chairman and CEO of Qualcomm, chip manufacturer for HP tablet and mobile phones, speaks during the WebOS event at Fort Mason's Herbst Pavilion on February 9, 2011 in San Francisco, California

US mobile chipmaker Qualcomm said Monday it has been notified it is the subject of an antitrust investigation by Chinese authorities.

The company, a dominant maker of chips for smartphones, said in a statement that the "substance of the investigation" under the Chinese Anti-Monopoly Law is "confidential."

"The company is not aware of any charge by the NDRC (China's National Development and Reform Commission) that Qualcomm has violated the AML (Anti-Monopoly Law)," a Qualcomm statement said.

"We will continue to cooperate with the NDRC as it conducts its confidential investigation.

Qualcomm shares fell 2.5 percent to $71.10 after the news.

The US firm brought in over $1 billion in revenues from China in the past quarter.

Chief executive Paul Jacobs told the Wall Street Journal last week the company had been facing increasing pressure due to revelations of surveillance programs conducted by the US National Security Agency.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Qualcomm ups dividend, approves up to $4B buyback

Mar 06, 2012

(AP) -- Mobile phone chip-maker Qualcomm Inc. said Tuesday that its board approved the increase of its quarterly dividend by 16 percent to 25 cents and up to $4 billion in stock buybacks.

EU drops Qualcomm antitrust probe

Nov 24, 2009

(AP) -- European Union antitrust regulators on Tuesday dropped a monopoly abuse probe into wireless chip maker Qualcomm Inc. after mobile phone companies withdrew complaints about high royalty fees.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

20 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 2

Adjust slider to filter visible comments by rank

Display comments: newest first

Poj
not rated yet Nov 25, 2013
Seems like China has been learning from us.
holoman
1 / 5 (1) Nov 25, 2013
China's pissed because they can't clone the Qualcomm technology.
Simca
Nov 25, 2013
This comment has been removed by a moderator.

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.