Marvel to create new superhero shows for Netflix

Nov 07, 2013

Netflix is joining forces with Disney's Marvel to bring several new superhero shows to the streaming Internet TV service, the companies announced Thursday.

Under the "groundbreaking deal," Netflix has committed to a minimum of four, 13-episode series culminating in a miniseries "programming event," they said in a joint statement.

"Led by a series focused on 'Daredevil,' followed by 'Jessica Jones,' 'Iron Fist' and 'Luke Cage,' the epic will unfold over multiple years of original programming."

The shows will be produced by Marvel Television in association with ABC Television Studios. The first is expected to debut in 2015.

Netflix, faced with increasingly aggressive competitors such as Amazon, is placing more emphasis on the production of original series and exclusive distribution deals.

In a multi-year deal announced in June, DreamWorks Animation—the studio behind blockbusters "Shrek" and "Kung Fu Panda"—will release new original shows exclusively on Netflix.

The Netflix political drama "House of Cards" made history this year when it became the first online-only series ever to be nominated for a major Emmy award, although it failed to take any of the big prizes.

Inspired by a BBC series from the early 1990s, "House of Cards" was made exclusively for Netflix, which put all 13 episodes online in February in one swoop.

"Netflix offers an incredible platform for the kind of rich storytelling that is Marvel's specialty," Alan Fine, president of Marvel Entertainment, said in the joint release.

"This serialized epic expands the narrative possibilities of on-demand television and gives fans the flexibility to immerse themselves how and when they want in what's sure to be a thrilling and engaging adventure."

Ted Sarandos, chief content officer at Netflix, added that "with 'House of Cards' and our other original , we have pioneered new approaches to storytelling and to global distribution."

"We're thrilled to be working with Disney and Marvel to take our brand of television to new levels with a creative project of this magnitude," he added.

Explore further: As dust clears, what's next for Sony?

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Netflix adds to original shows with Sony deal

Oct 15, 2013

Netflix on Monday announced a deal with Sony to create a psychological thriller series for the online streaming and DVD service, ramping up original programming to win subscribers.

Netflix stock climbs on Disney film deal

Dec 04, 2012

Netflix shares jumped Tuesday with word that the online service struck an exclusive deal to stream live-action animated feature films from The Walt Disney Studios.

Netflix shares soar as viewer numbers climb (Update)

Oct 21, 2013

Netflix shares soared 10 percent Monday as the streaming television service reported that profit in the recently-ended quarter climbed along with its subscriber numbers, which are now above 40 million.

Recommended for you

As dust clears, what's next for Sony?

5 hours ago

The Sony hacking attack continues to deliver more dramatic plotlines than any fictional movie, but meanwhile the movie studio must move forward and tackle the next steps in minimizing the mess. Will Sony ...

It's down to the wire for online shopping

9 hours ago

As the holiday shopping season winds down, FedEx, UPS and online retailers are using the last few days to try to avoid the problems that occurred last year when severe winter weather and a surge in late orders ...

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

Dec 21, 2014

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.