Report: Google's Calif. barge to hoist sails

Nov 08, 2013

Google's four-story barge under construction in the heart of the San Francisco Bay plans to include a dozen or so massive sails when completed.

The San Francisco Chronicle reported Friday that it obtained planning documents for the vessel from the Port of San Francisco through a public records request. Google has been tight-lipped about the project and has managed to conceal much of its purpose by constructing it on docked barges instead of on land, where city building permits and public plans are mandatory.

Google earlier this week revealed the barge would be used as an interactive learning center.

The Chronicle reported that the shaped like fish fins are meant to instill in visitors a sense of seaworthiness while aboard the boxy structure.

Explore further: China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

1 /5 (1 vote)
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Google presumed builder of floating data center

Oct 26, 2013

An enormous floating barge has emerged in the San Francisco Bay, which tech-savvy sleuths suspect is a massive data center being constructed by Google, the CNET blog reported.

Google-funded sea research vessel sets sail

Aug 01, 2013

A $60 million research ship funded by a Google executive is setting sail from San Francisco to study a so-called "dead zone" in the Pacific Ocean and other mysteries of the sea.

Recommended for you

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

10 hours ago

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.