FT moves to single print edition, many digital editions

Oct 10, 2013
Editor of the Financial Times newspaper Lionel Barber arrives at the High Court in London on January 10, 2012

The Financial Times is moving to a single print edition and increasing the number of digital editions, editor Lionel Barber said on Thursday.

The re-organisation of the paper's editorial and production processes will produce a single daily global print edition composed of web content, Barber said in a memo to staff outlining the latest step in the paper's "digital first" strategy.

"The 1970s-style newspaper publishing process—making incremental changes to multiple editions through the night—is dead. In future, our print product will derive from the web offering—not vice versa.

"The new FT will be produced by a small print-focused team working alongside a larger integrated web/day production team."

The paper currently produces five for the United States, Britain, Europe, Middle East and Asia. Pearson said the paper would still be printed at sites around the world.

The FT, which is owned by British company Pearson, saw web subscribers outstrip its print circulation for the first time last year.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

US newspapers gain online, but print lags

Oct 31, 2012

US daily newspapers gained online readers over the past six months, but not enough to make up for declining print circulation, industry data showed Tuesday.

NY Times gains in otherwise grim newspaper sector

Apr 30, 2013

The New York Times, boosted by gains in digital readers, rose to the number two spot among US daily newspapers in a sector still struggling with falling print circulation, industry figures showed Tuesday.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

15 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

20 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

21 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.