Qualcomm may repurchase up to $5 billion shares

Sep 11, 2013

Qualcomm says its board has approved a $5 billion stock repurchase program.

The San Diego-based wireless chipmaker said Wednesday that it's replacing a $5 billion program announced on March 5. Since July 24, the company has repurchased about 40.1 million shares of for $2.7 billion. Buying back can help support earnings per share and offset the effect of paying employees in stock.

Qualcomm CEO Paul Jacobs says the company plans to further discuss its capital plans at its analyst day in November.

Qualcomm stock is up 60 cents to $68.69 in after-hours trading. Shares closed Wednesday at $68.09 and are up 10 percent this year.

Explore further: China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

1 /5 (1 vote)
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Qualcomm ups dividend, approves up to $4B buyback

Mar 06, 2012

(AP) -- Mobile phone chip-maker Qualcomm Inc. said Tuesday that its board approved the increase of its quarterly dividend by 16 percent to 25 cents and up to $4 billion in stock buybacks.

Qualcomm 3Q results beat Wall Street estimates

Jul 20, 2011

(AP) -- Wireless chip-maker Qualcomm Inc.'s results for the latest quarter beat Wall Street's expectations, and its projections for the current quarter are also above analysts' estimates.

Recommended for you

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

4 hours ago

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.