Zynga's 2Q losses narrow as company slashes costs

Jul 26, 2013

(AP)—Zynga narrowed its second-quarter losses as the troubled company laid off workers and trimmed other expenses to help offset its difficulty coming up with compelling games to play on smartphones.

The results announced Thursday covered Zynga Inc.'s final reporting period before the San Francisco company hired former Microsoft executive Don Mattrick to replace founder Mark Pincus as CEO.

Zynga Inc. is counting on Mattrick to engineer a turnaround after a highly successful stint in charge of Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox video game operations.

Mattrick says Zynga still faces a rocky road ahead.

Zynga lost $15.8 million, or 2 cents per share, in the past quarter, compared with a loss of $22.8 million, or 3 cents per share, a year ago.

Zynga's revenue plunged 31 percent from last year to $231 million.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

5 /5 (1 vote)
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Zynga gives new CEO millions to leave Microsoft

Jul 04, 2013

Struggling Web game maker Zynga gave new CEO Don Mattrick a $5 million signing bonus and stock awards valued at $40 million to lure him away from his previous job overseeing Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox console for video games.

Zynga to report 3Q net loss, take charge

Oct 04, 2012

(AP)—Zynga expects a loss for the third quarter and says its preliminary results reflect weak demand for some games. It's also taking a charge related to its acquisition of OMGPop, a mobile game maker.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

2 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

7 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

8 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

22 hours ago

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.