SKorean presidential website loses data in hacking

Jul 01, 2013
A man walks by a gate at Cyber Terror Response Center of National Police Agency in Seoul, South Korea, Tuesday, June 25, 2013. South Korea said multiple government and private sector websites were hacked on Tuesday's anniversary of the start of the Korean War, and Seoul issued a cyberattack alert warning officials and citizens to take security measures. (AP Photo/Lee Jin-man)

South Korea says personal information was stolen from its presidential website in a cyberattack last week that coincided with a shutdown of North Korean websites.

Yonhap news agency reported Monday that about 100,000 subscribers' accounts were hacked on the presidential website. It cited an unidentified presidential official. The president's office acknowledged the loss of data but couldn't confirm the details.

The Blue House has apologized on its website for allowing names, birthdates and IDs to be stolen. Passwords were not compromised.

Several North and South Korean websites shut down Wednesday, the anniversary of the start of the Korean War. The Korean Peninsula remains technically at war because the 1950-53 conflict ended in a truce.

Seoul blames hacking for last week's shutdown. North Korea hasn't commented.

Explore further: Twitter launches Meerkat-killer app Periscope (Update)

4 /5 (1 vote)
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

SKorea says several gov't, private websites hacked

Jun 25, 2013

South Korea said multiple government and private sector websites were hacked on Tuesday's anniversary of the start of the Korean War, and Seoul issued a cyberattack alert warning officials and citizens to take security measures.

Websites in 2 Koreas shut down on war anniversary

Jun 25, 2013

Major government and media websites in South and North Korea were shut down for hours Tuesday on the 63rd anniversary of the start of the Korean War. Seoul said its sites were hacked, while it was unclear ...

SKorea says NKorea behind computer crash in March

Apr 10, 2013

(AP)—North Korea was responsible for a cyberattack that shut down tens of thousands of computers and servers at South Korean broadcasters and banks last month, officials in Seoul said Wednesday, noting ...

Recommended for you

Twitter chief vows to help Indonesia fight disasters

16 hours ago

Twitter chief Dick Costolo said Thursday the microblogging site planned to work with Indonesian authorities to warn people about natural disasters that regularly hit the archipelago, from earthquakes to volcanic ...

EU unveils ambitious overhaul of digital economy

Mar 25, 2015

The EU unveiled an ambitious plan to overhaul Europe's fragmented digital landscape on Wednesday that would allow Europeans traveling in other bloc countries to get their Netflix film fix or watch BBC iPlayer ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.