Russia halts Proton rocket launches after accident

Jul 04, 2013
Image taken on December 5, 2010 shows a Proton-M rocket blasting off from the Baikonur cosmodrome in Kazakhstan. Russia is suspending the launches of Proton rockets after an unmanned rocket carrier exploded on takeoff this week, a source on the cosmodrome said Thursday.

Russia is suspending the launches of Proton rockets after an unmanned rocket carrier exploded on takeoff this week, a source on the Russian Baikonur cosmodrome in Kazakhstan said Thursday.

"The that is looking into the causes of the accident on July 2 has made a decision to stop the preparations for the planned Proton rocket launches from Baikonur," the source told Interfax news agency.

The next launch was set for July 20, he said, but the rocket, as well as the Briz-M upper stage rocket and the satellite Astra 2E that was to be carried into space were on Thursday being moved to storage.

"Due to the accident the launches will be pushed back to later dates and will resume only after the commission finishes its work and after its recommendations are put to use," the source added.

Other Proton launches this year were scheduled for the American radio satellite Sirius FM6 on August 14, Russia's Kosmos military satellite on September 5, Russian communications satellite Ekspress AM5 in October and Turkish Turksat 4A in November, he said.

The Proton rocket is Russia's most popular for unmanned commercial launches and analysts have said that Tuesday's accident, in which a Proton-M rocket fell apart mid-air, was a major blow that could lead businessmen to look for alternative carriers.

Astra 2E was manufactured by EADS to provide broadcast and broadband services in Europe, the Middle East and Africa. The website of SES gave its date as July 21.

On Tuesday, the ill-fated carrier rocket veered off its vertical trajectory and dramatically erupted into a ball of fire before falling to the ground a couple of kilometres from the launchpad. Locals were told to stay indoors due to the danger of noxious fumes from the rocket's toxic fuel.

Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said after the accident that "harsh decisions" will be taken and that "Russia's and space industry cannot continue to exist in its current form."

Explore further: Google exec makes record skydive from edge of space

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Russia delays commercial space launches after crash

Sep 13, 2011

Russia will have to delay the upcoming launch of six US satellites and two commercial European craft due to last month's Soyuz carrier rocket mishap, Russian industry sources said Tuesday.

Russia works to fix satellite's off-target orbit (Update)

Dec 09, 2012

Russian scientists were working to correct the orbit of a communications satellite Sunday after it failed to reach its designated location in space—the latest setback for the country's once-pioneering space ...

Russia launches six US satellites

Feb 06, 2013

A Russian Soyuz rocket on Wednesday successfully launched six US telecommunications satellites from the Baikonur space centre Moscow leases from the ex-Soviet state of Kazakhstan.

Russia launches US satellite into space

Apr 24, 2010

A Russian Proton rocket carrying a US AMC 49 telecommunications satellite was launched into orbit on Saturday, the Russian space agency said on its website.

Recommended for you

Hinode satellite captures X-ray footage of solar eclipse

16 hours ago

The moon passed between the Earth and the sun on Thursday, Oct. 23. While avid stargazers in North America looked up to watch the spectacle, the best vantage point was several hundred miles above the North ...

Asteroid 2014 SC324 zips by Earth Friday afternoon

Oct 24, 2014

What a roller coaster week it's been. If partial eclipses and giant sunspots aren't your thing, how about a close flyby of an Earth-approaching asteroid?  2014 SC324 was discovered on September 30 this ...

User comments : 0