Mobile chip giant sees smartphone surprises ahead

Jul 26, 2013

Leading mobile phone chip maker Qualcomm said Thursday that the next generation of smartphones will take another stride forward as the company reported robust quarterly earnings.

"We still think the next smartphone is going to surprise you with the things it can do," Qualcomm director of CPU product management Travis Lanier told AFP. "There is a way to go in innovation."

Demand for Snapdragon chips, which combine computer processing and graphics capabilities in a compact platform for powering devices, helped the California company make a profit of $1.58 billion on revenue of $6.52 billion in the quarter that ended on June 30.

"We delivered another strong quarter as our Qualcomm Snapdragon solutions were prominent in a broad set of flagship smartphones, and 3G/4G device average selling prices were stronger than expected," said Qualcomm chief executive Paul Jacobs.

"We see expanding opportunities for growth of 3G/4G devices around the globe, driven by the strong pace of innovation in the industry."

Profit was up 21 percent from the same quarter last year, while revenue increased 35 percent.

The "system-on-a-chip" design of Snapdragon allows for smartphones or tablets to be designed with features such as playback of ultra high-definition video or surround-sound in headsets plugged into devices.

More than a thousand products are shipping with Snapdragon chips, and hundreds more are in the pipeline, according to Qualcomm executives.

The chips are also being built into coming tablets, including the Nexus 7 unveiled by Google on Wednesday.

Rather than the mobile gadget market slowing as it matures, Qualcomm executives saw it as accelerating.

"There are still plenty of people who don't have a smartphone," Lanier said.

"There is a lot more growth to be seen; and I expect tablets to take off."

A 'Quantified Self' movement driven by wearable computers such as wristbands or pendants with sensors that relay information to increasingly sophisticated smartphones or tablets is weaving the devices even deeper into lives.

"We call it the digital sixth sense," Qualcomm marketing executive Tim McDonough.

"The is shifting to something that is always paying attention to what is going on around you; a device going from passive to sentient."

McDonough predicted that new with innovative capabilities will hit the market in coming months as manufacturers get products in place for the year-end holiday shopping season.

"People are going to do things that we never would have thought or, and we love that," McDonough said of mobile device innovators.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Qualcomm Snapdragon chipset heads for tablets, TVs

Jan 11, 2012

(PhysOrg.com) -- Qualcomm used the CES event in Las Vegas yesterday to showcase its Snapdragon S4 line of chips, expected to ship in devices later this year. A key highlight was the company’s demo of ...

Quad-core Snapdragon S4 is firing up for laptop wars

Apr 03, 2012

(PhysOrg.com) -- Google is moving toward social; Facebook is moving to search; and now the chip kings are doing a similar dance into different territory. Intel is muscling in on smartphones and Qualcomm wants ...

Qualcomm results shine amid smartphone optimism

Apr 20, 2011

(AP) -- The rise of smartphones is leading to a profound shift in the semiconductor industry, as companies that focus on mobile chips have found themselves in computing's new sweet spot.

Qualcomm ups dividend, approves up to $4B buyback

Mar 06, 2012

(AP) -- Mobile phone chip-maker Qualcomm Inc. said Tuesday that its board approved the increase of its quarterly dividend by 16 percent to 25 cents and up to $4 billion in stock buybacks.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

6 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

11 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

12 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.