Investors buying bankrupt Israel electric car firm

Jul 10, 2013
In this Sunday, Feb. 7, 2010 file photo, an electric car is seen during a demonstration of the California-based company Better Place in Tel Aviv, Israel. A group of investors announced Wednesday, July 10, 2013, has taken over the remains of Israel's bankrupt electric car venture, pledging to give the project another boost. The electric car company Better Place filed for liquidation in May, less than six years after unveiling a plan promising to revolutionize the auto industry by reducing the world's oil dependency. (AP Photo/Ariel Schalit, File)

A group of investors has taken over the remains of Israel's bankrupt electric car venture, pledging to give the project another boost.

The electric car company Better Place filed for liquidation in May, less than six years after unveiling a plan promising to revolutionize the auto industry by reducing the world's oil dependency.

As recently as last August, the company was valued at $2 billion.

On Wednesday, an Israeli court allowed a consortium that included Better Place car owners and entrepreneurs to purchase its assets for less than $12 million.

Efi Shahak, who heads Israel's electric car drivers association, said the group was committed to maintaining Israel's 2,000 charging spots and its battery swap services. He said the takeover gives "Israel a second chance to get it right."

Explore further: China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

5 /5 (3 votes)
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Hong Kong company completes purchase of Saab

Sep 03, 2012

(AP)—A Hong Kong-owned company says it has completed the acquisition of bankrupt car maker Saab and will move ahead with its business plan to make electric cars under the Swedish brand.

Recommended for you

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

9 hours ago

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.