Bidders vie for online video website Hulu

Jul 09, 2013

The Wall Street Journal on Monday reported that several bidders have stepped up to vie for Hulu, an online video website that Internet pioneer Yahoo was said to be eyeing as an acquisition.

The Journal cited unnamed sources as saying that Hulu had several suitors, including satellite television company DirecTV and a partnership led by US telecom titan AT&T.

A Friday deadline had been set for submitting final bids for Hulu, which was launched in 2007 in a partnership between Comcast, 21st Century Fox, and The Walt Disney Company.

While it remained unclear how high bids had climbed, DirecTV had reportedly lodged an early-round bid of more than a billion dollars.

Hulu, which has been battling rivals like Netflix in the area of streaming video, generated some $700 million in revenues last year. It has around four million subscribers to its premium video service.

Hulu also has a free service supported by advertising.

Yahoo was said to be among early bidders for Hulu but it had not been revealed whether the California-based firm, which has been on an acquisition spree, is still in the running.

Explore further: China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Yahoo, pay-TV operators among Hulu bidders

May 25, 2013

Online video site Hulu is again up for sale, with Yahoo and pay TV operators DirecTV and Time Warner Cable among the seven bidders, according to a person with direct knowledge of the matter.

Apple considering Hulu bid

Jul 22, 2011

Apple Inc. is in talks to potentially bid for video-streaming service Hulu, according to a person close to the situation.

Recommended for you

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

15 hours ago

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.