Bebo founders buy website back for just $1 mn

Jul 03, 2013
The Bebo social networking site home page photographed on a computer screen in London on July 3, 2013. Michael Birch and his wife Xochi, the British couple who sold social networking site Bebo for $850 million (655 million euros) five years ago, have bought back the company for just $1 million and say they will relaunch it.

The British couple who sold social networking site Bebo for $850 million (655 million euros) five years ago have bought back the company for just $1 million and say they will relaunch it.

Michael Birch and his wife Xochi launched Bebo in 2005 after meeting at university in London and the site became the destination of choice for teenagers to chat and share pictures, attracting 40 million users by 2008.

But as Facebook and Twitter began their rapid rise, Bebo fell out of fashion and by the time it was sold to AOL, analysts were warning that it was vastly overpriced.

AOL sold it on to investment fund Criterion Capital Partners in 2010 for a sum reported to be as low as $10 million.

After buying back the now-bankrupt company, Michael Birch tweeted: "We just bought Bebo back for $1m. Can we actually re-invent it? Who knows, but it will be fun trying..."

The Birchs' own high-tech development team, Monkey Inferno, will try to "breathe new life" into Bebo from offices in San Francisco, where the couple live with their three children, a statement said.

Monkey Inferno's CEO Shaan Puri said: "We're excited about the ambitious challenge of bringing Bebo back, and couldn't be happier to announce that the product will be back in the hands of the founders."

"We know the odds are stacked against us, but we love challenges and the Bebo users deserve better than what they have received the past few years."

Other have been forced to relaunch as their influence has faded. MySpace has been redesigned as has site Digg.

Michael and Xonchi Birch have not been sitting back and enjoying their riches—they are in the process of developing a private members' club in San Francisco, based on similar clubs in London such as Soho House.

Called The Battery and housed in an old brick warehouse with spectacular views over San Francisco Bay, it will incorporate a restaurant, gym, a hot tub capable of accommodating 20 people, a library and a wine cellar.

Explore further: Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

AOL unloads social networking site Bebo

Jun 17, 2010

(AP) -- AOL Inc. is paring its ambitions in online social networking, selling a website called Bebo that it bought a little more than two years ago for $850 million when AOL was still part of Time Warner Inc.

AOL looking to sell or shut down social site Bebo

Apr 06, 2010

(AP) -- The struggling Internet company AOL Inc. plans to sell or shut down the online community Bebo nearly two years after buying it for $850 million in an expansion of its social-networking ambitions.

Bebo social network expands into Europe

Mar 16, 2009

Social networking website Bebo on Monday announced the launch of five new European-language versions, its first major expansion outside the English-speaking world.

Recommended for you

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

4 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

5 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

18 hours ago

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.