Yahoo, pay-TV operators among Hulu bidders

May 25, 2013 by Ryan Nakashima

Online video site Hulu is again up for sale, with Yahoo and pay TV operators DirecTV and Time Warner Cable among the seven bidders, according to a person with direct knowledge of the matter.

The person wasn't authorized to speak publicly and spoke Friday on condition of , after several news outlets reported on the bidding.

The person didn't offer details on the prices offered. Published reports have pegged a bid by a group led by former News Corp. executive Peter Chernin at $500 million. The other three bidders were all private equity firms: Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co.; Guggenheim Partners; and Silver Lake, in partnership with talent agency William Morris Endeavor, according to the person.

The person said the bidders would be narrowed down in the coming weeks.

The Walt Disney Co. and News Corp. control through their broadcast subsidiaries, ABC and Fox. Comcast Corp., owner of NBC, is also an investor, although it gave up its say in Hulu's affairs as a condition of its purchase of NBCUniversal in 2011.

Hulu's owners tried to sell the site before, but decided against it in 2011 after months of entertaining outside offers. Talk of a sale resurfaced after CEO Jason Kilar announced in January that he would step down at the end of March. Since then, Hulu has been led by interim CEO Andy Forssell.

Its owners have struggled over the right strategy for the service. It offers free viewing of recent episodes of broadcast network shows like ABC's "Modern Family" or NBC's "Saturday Night Live" with ads, but those episodes are also available elsewhere, such as on the networks' own websites. The paid version, called Hulu Plus, provides access to a deeper catalog and allows viewing on mobile devices and Internet-connected TVs, but several networks including ABC and NBC have developed apps that allow full episode viewing on mobile devices for free.

Hulu made $695 million in revenue last year and said in April that more than 4 million customers pay $8 a month for Hulu Plus. Both Disney and . have said Hulu is losing money.

The ad revenue is small compared to the billions of dollars made on traditional TV, and Hulu lags far behind Netflix in paying subscribers. Netflix boasts 29.2 million subscribers in the U.S. alone.

Hulu could also be a contributing factor to viewers choosing to cancel traditional pay TV packages, which are far more expensive, in favor of watching video over the Internet.

Representatives for Group Inc., Inc., KKR, Silver Lake and William Morris declined to comment. Spokespeople for Yahoo Inc. and Guggenheim did not immediately return messages seeking comment. A representative for The Chernin Group could not immediately be reached.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Apple considering Hulu bid

Jul 22, 2011

Apple Inc. is in talks to potentially bid for video-streaming service Hulu, according to a person close to the situation.

Hulu mulls putting itself up for sale

Jun 22, 2011

(AP) -- Online video service Hulu is exploring putting itself up for sale after receiving an unsolicited takeover offer, people familiar with the matter said Tuesday.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

3 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

8 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

9 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

23 hours ago

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.