FCC says AT&T agrees to $18.25 million settlement

May 07, 2013

The federal government says AT&T will pay $18.25 million to settle charges related to operating services that are designed for use by the deaf and hard-of-hearing who place calls by typing messages over the Internet.

The settlement announced by the Federal Communications Commission on Tuesday closes an investigation over compliance with rules on registering and verifying callers. AT&T isn't admitting any wrongdoing.

The case is separate from a pending lawsuit in Pittsburgh by the Justice Department that alleges AT&T improperly billed the government for calls made by overseas callers who were ineligible.

AT&T Inc. is paying $7 million to reimburse the fund for the Telecommunications Relay Service. That amount includes interest. AT&T also is paying $11.25 million to the U.S. Treasury and is agreeing to new procedures.

Explore further: 2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Gov't sues AT&T over Internet calls

Mar 22, 2012

(AP) -- The Justice Department has sued to recover millions of dollars from AT&T Corp., alleging the company improperly billed the government for services that are designed for use by the deaf and hard-of-hearing who place ...

HP to pay $16.25M to settle FCC, DOJ case

Nov 11, 2010

(AP) -- Hewlett-Packard Co. has agreed to pay $16.25 million to settle allegations that it showered Texas school officials with gifts to win contracts funded by a federal program that pays for Internet connections for schools ...

Wal-Mart ready to settle Netflix case for $27.5M

Nov 16, 2011

(AP) -- More than 25 million current and former Netflix subscribers are being offered a sliver of a $27.5 million settlement from Wal-Mart. The proposed payment is being made to settle allegations that the video subscription ...

Recommended for you

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

4 hours ago

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

11 hours ago

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

Atos shares soar after Xerox acquisition

13 hours ago

Shares in French tech firm Atos soared nearly five percent on Friday as traders cheered the news it had bought the IT wing of Xerox for more than $1 billion.

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.