Softbank says its bid for Sprint Nextel superior

Apr 16, 2013

SoftBank Corp. says it believes its bid for U.S. wireless carrier Sprint Nextel is a better choice than the $25.5 billion counteroffer by Dish Network Corp.

Dish says its cash and stock offer beats Softbank's.

Softbank said in a statement Tuesday that the agreed terms of its deal "offer Sprint shareholders superior short and long term benefits to Dish's highly conditional preliminary proposal." The Japanese company said it expects to finalize the deal under the terms already agreed upon by July 1.

Softbank, a holding company with Internet and telecoms investments, is offering $20.1 billion in cash for Sprint, and allowing shareholders to keep 30 percent.

It is unclear if Softbank's CEO Masayoshi Son, a famously aggressive dealmaker, will raise his offer. Softbank shares fell 6.8 percent in Tokyo Tuesday.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Dish Network offering to buy Sprint in $25.5B deal

Apr 16, 2013

Dish Network Corp. is trying to snag U.S. wireless carrier Sprint Nextel away from Japan's Softbank Corp., the latest sign that satellite dishes are losing their relevance in the age of cellphones that play ...

Sprint raises offer to buy Clearwire for $2.2B

Dec 17, 2012

Sprint, the third-largest U.S. cellphone company, said Monday that it will buy out the portion of wireless network operator Clearwire that it doesn't already own after raising its offer price to $2.2 billion.

Sprint seeks majority control of Clearwire (Update)

Oct 18, 2012

(AP)—Flush with the promise of cash from a Japanese investor, Sprint Nextel Corp. on Thursday said that it wants to buy out the founder of Clearwire Corp. to gain majority control of the wireless network operator.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

20 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.