News Corp insurers pay $139M in shareholder suit

Apr 22, 2013

News Corp. says that the insurers backing its board of directors will pay the company $139 million to settle shareholder lawsuits over the British phone hacking scandal and the controversial purchase of an entertainment company run by founder Rupert Murdoch's daughter.

News Corp. also agreed to reforms including a whistleblower hotline and an annual review of the independence of current and prospective board members. The reforms will remain in place through at least 2016.

The cash settlement, after subtracting fees for the plaintiffs' lawyers, will benefit shareholders indirectly by going into the company's coffers.

The reforms don't change the company's dual-class share structure, which allows CEO Murdoch to control the company through a family trust.

News Corp. shares rose 21 cents to $31.42 in midday trading Monday.

Explore further: China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

News Corp. seeks dismissal of lawsuit over hacking

Sep 19, 2012

(AP)—News Corp. attorneys are asking a Delaware judge to dismiss a shareholder lawsuit alleging that company directors allowed a damaging cover-up of the phone hacking scandal in Britain.

News Corp. shareholder protest votes defeated (Update)

Oct 17, 2012

(AP)—News Corp. managed to avoid rowdy protests at its annual shareholders meeting Tuesday, but that didn't stop stockholders from voicing complaints about the grip on the company held by founder and CEO ...

Myspace purchase a 'huge mistake': Murdoch

Oct 21, 2011

News Corp's purchase of Myspace was a "huge mistake" and the social network was mismanaged "in every possible way" following the acquisition, chief executive Rupert Murdoch said Friday.

Shareholder unrest voiced at News Corp

Oct 16, 2012

Media tycoon Rupert Murdoch faced calls to give up some of his control at the News Corp. conglomerate at a shareholder meeting Tuesday that was unlikely to change the balance of power.

News Corp. confirms it's considering split in 2

Jun 26, 2012

(AP) — Under pressure to limit contagion from the British phone hacking scandal, Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. confirmed Tuesday that it is considering splitting into two publicly traded companies.

Recommended for you

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

18 hours ago

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.