Intel meets 1Q expectations despite PC slowdown (Update)

Apr 16, 2013 by Peter Svensson

Intel Corp., the world's largest maker of chips for PCs, is remaining steadfast amid a drastic slowdown in computer sales.

Intel on Tuesday said it's keeping its sales and margin forecasts for this year, even as first-quarter PC sales plunged 14 percent from a year ago, as measured by research firm IDC. The company is helped by rising shipments of chips for servers.

Consumers are shifting their consumer electronics dollars away from PCs and toward smartphones and tablets, few of which use Intel chips. The company is scrambling to get a foothold in these devices, but has had little traction so far.

"We now compete wherever there is computing," departing CEO Paul Otellini said on a conference call Tuesday.

The Santa Clara, California, chipmaker met analyst forecasts for the just-ended quarter. It earned $2 billion, or 40 cents per share, in the January to March period. That was down 27 percent from $2.74 billion, or 53 cents per share, a year ago.

Revenue was $12.6 billion, slightly below the midpoint of Intel's own forecast range. The figure was down 2.3 percent from $12.9 billion a year ago.

Intel shares fell 7 cents in extended trading, after the release of the report, after rising 55 cents, or 2.6 percent, to $21.93 in regular trading.

Intel said it shipped 7 percent fewer PC chips compared to a year ago, but 6 percent more server chips.

Intel said it still expects to increase its sales by a few percent this year, and to keep its gross margin at 60 percent, down slightly from its recent three-year average of 63 percent. Analysts polled by FactSet expect revenue to be flat, on average.

For the quarter that just started, Intel expects revenue of $12.9 billion, plus or minus $500 million. That's in line with analyst expectations. Intel is launching this year's crop of new chips in the quarter, codenamed "Haswell," and is counting on them to compensate for slow sales at the start of the year.

Intel is pulling back its forecast in one area: It's expecting capital spending of $12 billion this year, $1 billion less than it previously expected, but still $1 billion more than last year's spending.

Explore further: China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

1 /5 (1 vote)
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Intel 4Q profit down, beats Street (Update)

Jan 17, 2013

Intel Corp., the world's largest chipmaker, on Thursday said its fourth-quarter net income fell 27 percent from the previous year, as PC sales continued to weaken.

Intel sees weak 4Q, little Windows 8 bounce (Update)

Oct 16, 2012

Intel Corp., the world's largest chipmaker, expects cold winds to blow this fall, as consumers shift their spending toward tablets and a weak global economy curbs corporate spending on computers.

Intel outlook points to PC industry recovery

Jan 14, 2010

(AP) -- Intel's fourth-quarter earnings breezed past Wall Street's expectations, and its rosy profit outlook for 2010 was another sign that a lasting recovery for the recession-battered personal computer market ...

Recommended for you

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

21 hours ago

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.