Disney lays off staff at game developer LucasArts

April 3, 2013

(AP)—Four months after acquiring "Star Wars" maker Lucasfilm, The Walt Disney Co. is shutting down video game production at subsidiary LucasArts and laying off staff as it focuses on the less-risky, less-expensive path of licensing its characters and stories to other developers.

A Disney spokesman confirmed the layoffs Wednesday, but didn't say how many people were affected.

Website Kotaku said 150 people were laid off, citing an unnamed source. Two games that had been in production, "Star Wars: First Assault" and "Star Wars: 1313," were canceled, Kotaku said.

Disney has been moving away from games that are expensive to make for consoles, like the and PlayStation 3, and toward apps.

One example of the licensing model is Entertainment Ltd.'s November launch of "Angry Birds Star Wars."

Explore further: Star Wars saga to go 3-D in new release


Related Stories

Star Wars saga to go 3-D in new release

September 30, 2010

George Lucas' cult sci-fi saga Star Wars is being reworked for re-release in three dimensions starting in 2012, Lucas Films announced Wednesday.

Disney confirms layoffs at game division

January 26, 2011

(AP) -- The Walt Disney Co. said Tuesday it is laying off employees and hiring an executive as it revamps its video game division to focus on mobile and social games and away from expensive-to-produce console games.

Disney hopes game character makes it to big screen

September 22, 2011

(AP) -- The Walt Disney Co. has used mobile games to promote its movies, but now it's trying something new: launching a cuddly character in a game in the hope he makes it to the big screen someday.

In Canada, 'Star Wars' exhibit asks who we are

April 17, 2012

A new exhibit exploring human identity through the "Star Wars" universe and the epic sci-fi saga's quirky characters kicks off a multi-city world tour in Montreal on Thursday.

Recommended for you

Dutch create world's largest man-made wave

October 5, 2015

In a country where most people live below sea level, studying the oceans is a matter of survival. Now Dutch scientists have created the world's biggest man-made wave in a bid to prepare for the worst.

1 comment

Adjust slider to filter visible comments by rank

Display comments: newest first

1 / 5 (1) Apr 03, 2013
In other words, they bought out their competition and just closed them down.

I guess this is the end of the Star Wars EU.

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.