Customers avoid Sprint in 1Q as suitors circle

Apr 24, 2013 by Peter Svensson

(AP)—The flow of new customers to Sprint stopped in the latest quarter, even as the company weighs the offers of two corporate suitors.

Corp. says it added a net of just 12,000 customers to its Sprint brand in the quarter, and it would have lost 252,000 if it weren't for Nextel customers moving over now that their network is being shut down.

Still, the company narrowed its net loss in the quarter to $643 million, or 21 cents per share, from $863 million, or 29 cents per share, a year ago.

Revenue edged up 0.7 percent to $8.79 billion.

Sprint has agreed to sell 70 percent of itself to Japan's ., but last week got a competing offer from Corp.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Sprint loss widens on Nextel, iPhone lifts sales

Apr 25, 2012

(AP) -- The impending shutdown of the Nextel network doubled Sprint Nextel Corp.'s loss in the first quarter, it said Wednesday, as it wrote down the value of the network and subscribers kept leaving it.

Sprint posts big 4Q loss, revenue rises

Feb 07, 2013

Sprint Nextel, the country's third largest wireless carrier, says it lost $1.3 billion in its fourth quarter, about the same as a year ago, as it revamped its network for a comeback versus bigger competitors.

Sprint Nextel slows subscriber loss in 4th quarter

Feb 10, 2010

(AP) -- Sprint Nextel says its subscriber losses slowed in the fourth quarter, an encouraging sign for the wireless carrier that has lost millions of customers over the past few years.

Clearwire 1Q revenue drops from 4Q on Sprint deal

Apr 26, 2012

(AP) -- Clearwire Corp., which runs a wireless data network, on Thursday reported its first drop in quarter-over-quarter revenue, as a new deal with major customer Sprint Nextel Corp. kicked in.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

6 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

11 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

12 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.