Google pays $7M fine to settle Wi-Fi privacy case (Update 2)

Mar 12, 2013 by Michael Liedtke
A Google Street View vehicle collects imagery in Virginia on June 28, 2012. Google struck a deal with US authorities Tuesday to pay a $7 million fine for collecting people's personal data without authorization as it combed neighborhoods for its Street View service.

Google will pay a $7 million fine to settle a multistate investigation into a snoopy software program that enabled the Internet search leader to intercept emails, passwords and other sensitive information sent several years ago over unprotected wireless networks in neighborhoods across the world.

The agreement announced Tuesday covers 38 states and the District of Columbia, part of the area where households and local merchants unwittingly had some of their communications on Wi-Fi networks snatched by Google Inc. from early 2008 until the spring 0f 2010.

Google stopped the data collection in May 2010, shortly before the company revealed cars taking street-level photos for its online mapping service also had been grabbing information transmitted over Wi-Fi networks that had been set up in homes and businesses without requiring a password to gain access.

The company blamed the intrusion on a rogue engineer who rigged a data-collection program into equipment that was supposed to only detect basic information about local Wi-Fi networks to help plot the locations of people using its mapping service and other products. After concluding its own investigation, the Federal Communications Commission last year asserted that some of Google's managers knew about the engineer's plan to vacuum information being transmitted over the Wi-Fi networks.

Google hasn't identified the engineer who set up the data-collection program.

The surveillance triggered outrage among privacy watchdogs and government investigations in more than a dozen countries. The backlash so far has been more of a public relations blow than a financial setback for Google, which has embraced "Don't Be Evil" as its corporate motto.

Even as it repeatedly apologized for a breach of online etiquette, Google insisted that it didn't break any laws in the U.S. The company is maintaining that position in the multistate investigation by entering into a settlement that doesn't include any admission of wrongdoing.

Google, based in Mountain View, California, released another contrite statement Tuesday.

"We work hard to get privacy right at Google," the company said. "But in this case we didn't, which is why we quickly tightened up our systems to address the issue."

The multistate agreement requires Google to destroy the personal data that it collected from the Wi-FI networks, unless a lawsuit or other legal action requires the information to be preserved. A series of class-action lawsuits are still being appealed in San Francisco federal court.

Google says it never looked at the data, although regulators in other countries have reviewed the information as part of their investigations. Canadian regulators said Google had obtained the full names, telephone numbers and address of some people using the unprotected Wi-Fi networks. In France regulators found that Google had grabbed an email exchange between a married man and woman discussing a possible affair and other information about sexual preferences.

The Wi-Fi snooping is just the latest of several incidents that have raised questions about Google's commitment to privacy. In the past three years, Google also has been reprimanded by U.S. regulators for exposing the personal contact lists of its email accountholders when it started a service called Buzz in 2010 and for secretly tracking the online activities of Web surfers using Apple Inc.'s Safari Web browser last year. The Safari surveillance resulted in the Federal Trade Commission fining Google $22.5 million last year.

The FCC also fined Google $25,000 last year for obstructing its investigation into the Wi-Fi spying.

The $7 million fine that Google is paying the states and District of Columbia is the biggest U.S. penalty imposed on Google so far for Wi-Fi spying. It amounts to a speck on Google's financial statement. The company brings in an average of $7 million per hour, based on its projected revenue of $61 billion this year.

The penalty won't be enough to prevent Google from continuing to be a "serial privacy violator," according to John Simpson, privacy project director for Consumer Watchdog, a frequent critic of the company. "It's clear the Internet giant sees fines like this as just the cost of doing business and not a very big cost at that."

Connecticut, the lead state in the Wi-Fi investigation, will get the largest cut from the fine—nearly $521,000. Other states getting a share are: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Delaware Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia and Washington.

The multistate agreement also requires Google to create an instructional video for its YouTube site to help people learn to protect their Wi-Fi networks from interlopers. The video will be promoted with daily online ads for the next two years. Wi-Fi privacy tips also will be provided in print ads that Google must buy in major newspapers in all the states covered by the settlement. Google also will host an annual "privacy week" for its employees for the next decade.

"Consumers have a reasonable expectation of privacy," said Connecticut Attorney General George Jepsen. "This agreement recognizes those rights and ensures that Google will not use similar tactics in the future."

Explore further: It's down to the wire for online shopping

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Dutch data watchdog blasts Google data collection

Apr 19, 2011

(AP) -- The Dutch data protection watchdog criticized Google on Tuesday for collecting data on private wireless networks, ordering it to contact 3.6 million Dutch WiFi owners and offer them a way to have their data deleted.

Israel gives green light to Google Street View

Aug 22, 2011

Israel's ministry of justice said on Monday that it has given the go-ahead for Google Street View to start photographing streets in Israel to put on its 3D-mapping website.

US probes Google Street View data grabs (Update)

Jun 21, 2010

The attorney general of the US state of Connecticut is looking into whether Google broke the law by capturing people's personal data from wireless networks while Street View bicycles and cars mapped streets. ...

France orders Google to hand over Street View data

Jul 31, 2012

France's data-protection authority said Tuesday it wants Google to hand over data secretly collected from Internet users by its Street View mapping cars which it failed to delete as promised.

Belgium probes Google's Street View

Apr 21, 2011

Belgium became Thursday the latest European country to investigate Google's Street View picture map after cars taking pictures for the programme collected private data.

Recommended for you

As dust clears, what's next for Sony?

6 hours ago

The Sony hacking attack continues to deliver more dramatic plotlines than any fictional movie, but meanwhile the movie studio must move forward and tackle the next steps in minimizing the mess. Will Sony ...

It's down to the wire for online shopping

10 hours ago

As the holiday shopping season winds down, FedEx, UPS and online retailers are using the last few days to try to avoid the problems that occurred last year when severe winter weather and a surge in late orders ...

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

Dec 21, 2014

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.