Disney, News Corp. 'finalizing' plans for Hulu

Mar 15, 2013

Disney and News Corp. are "finalizing" their future plans for Hulu as the online video streaming service prepares for the departure of CEO Jason Kilar.

That's according to a blog post by Kilar on Thursday. Kilar is to leave the company at the end of March. Replacing him as interim CEO will be Andy Forssell, 's senior vice president of content.

The . and News Corp., the parent companies of broadcasters ABC and Fox, jointly own Hulu with NBC owner ., but have an awkward relationship with the service.

The broadcasters independently offer streaming of full TV shows on computers and apps, often for free, yet a paid portion of Hulu known as Hulu Plus requires a monthly $8 fee for many of the same shows.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

1 /5 (1 vote)
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Hulu mulls putting itself up for sale

Jun 22, 2011

(AP) -- Online video service Hulu is exploring putting itself up for sale after receiving an unsolicited takeover offer, people familiar with the matter said Tuesday.

Hulu sees 1M paying subscribers by end of summer

Jul 07, 2011

(AP) -- Online video service Hulu expects to have more than a million paying subscribers by the end of summer, several months earlier than forecast, its chief executive said in a blog post Wednesday.

Hulu chief heading for the door

Jan 04, 2013

The top executive of popular video-streaming service Hulu said Friday that he and the company's chief technology officer will leave the company by April.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

15 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

20 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

21 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.