Japan court rejects Samsung claim against Apple

Feb 28, 2013
An Apple iPhone 4s (left) and a Samsung Galaxy S3 at a mobile phone shop in Seoul. A Japanese court has rejected a claim by Samsung that Apple stole its technology, in the latest round of a global legal battle between the smartphone giants over patents.

A Japanese court Thursday rejected a claim by Samsung that Apple stole its technology, in the latest round of a global legal battle between the smartphone giants over patents.

The ruled that Samsung has no rights over data used in some of Apple's smartphones, said a spokesman for Samsung's Tokyo office.

The South Korean electronics giant had sought an injunction that would prevent the manufacture and sale of some of Apple's smartphones in a dispute over patent rights, the spokesman said.

In response to Samsung's claim made in 2011, Apple filed a lawsuit seeking a court ruling that Samsung does not hold patent rights and thus has no claim to damages over the issue, he said.

A statement issued by Samsung's Tokyo office said the company was "disappointed that our argument was not accepted by the court".

"After studying details of the court ruling we will take necessary measures to protect our property rights," it added.

Similar lawsuits over the same technology were heard in the United States and , with a US court finding for Apple in August last year while a South Korean court sided with Samsung, the spokesman added.

A spokesman for Apple Japan declined to comment on the case.

The verdict is the latest chapter in a long-running global patent war between the giants, who have each accused the other of stealing intellectual property for their own products.

In a separate case, the Tokyo District Court in August rejected Apple's claim that Samsung stole its technology over synchronising a smartphone's music data with that on a computer.

The two companies are waging the patent fight in about 10 countries, and in Japan there are about a dozen cases pending, the Samsung spokesman said.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Apple files new Samsung patent action in US

Sep 01, 2012

Apple has filed a fresh patent infringement action in the United States against Samsung, alleging that the South Korean company is continuing to steal its technology despite a recent court ruling.

Japan court to rule on Apple-Samsung patent brawl

Aug 30, 2012

A Japanese court on Friday will issue a ruling in a bitter patent dispute between Apple and its South Korean rival Samsung, the latest case in a global war between the two technology giants.

Samsung files lawsuits against Apple

Apr 22, 2011

(AP) -- South Korea's Samsung Electronics Co. says it sued Apple Inc. for patent rights violations, only days after Apple sued Samsung for the same reason. ...

Dutch court rules against Apple in Samsung case

Jun 20, 2012

A Dutch court ruled on Wednesday that Apple has infringed on a patent held by South Korean rival Samsung and ordered the US computer giant to pay an unspecified amount of damages.

German court dismisses Apple, Samsung lawsuits

Mar 02, 2012

(AP) -- A German court has dismissed patent lawsuits by technology giants Apple and Samsung against each other in the two companies' battle over the market for smartphones and tablet devices.

Recommended for you

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

17 hours ago

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.