NEC swings to quarterly net profit

Jan 31, 2013

Japanese information technology firm NEC said Thursday it had swung to a net profit in the October-December quarter, thanks in part to improved sales in defence systems and mobile networks.

The firm's came to 3.5 billion yen ($38.5 million), reversing an 86.5 billion yen net loss in the same period a year earlier.

Operating profit was 24.4 billion yen, also reversing a year-earlier loss, on sales of 722 billion yen, up 7.9 percent.

Cost-cutting also helped results, it said.

NEC left unchanged its forecast for the year until March of a 20 billion yen net profit on sales of 3.15 trillion yen.

Explore further: 2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Japan's Fujitsu hit by third-quarter loss

Jan 31, 2012

Japanese high-tech giant Fujitsu plunged into a net loss for the three months to December, it said Tuesday, as it slashed its full-year sales and profit forecast.

Japan's NEC revises up profit forecast

Oct 19, 2012

Japanese information technology firm NEC said Friday it has revised its half year forecast from a loss to a healthy net profit, with reports saying demand for iPhones was helping the company.

Japan's NEC sees $1.36 billion net loss

Apr 27, 2012

Japanese IT firm NEC said Friday it lost $1.36 billion in the year to March as asset write-downs and tax payments hit its bottom line, even as operating profit rose.

NEC sees losses triple

Jan 27, 2011

Japan's NEC said Thursday its net loss in the October-December quarter almost tripled from a year earlier, blaming a delay in the recovery of IT-related capital investment in the country.

Japan's Fujitsu says posts 16% fall in Q1 profit

Jul 27, 2012

Japanese high-tech giant Fujitsu on Friday said its first quarter net loss widened and cut its sales forecast for the fiscal year as it was hit by weaker demand and a strong yen.

Recommended for you

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

27 minutes ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

1 hour ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

15 hours ago

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

21 hours ago

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.