S. Korea joins global space club with satellite launch

Jan 30, 2013 by Giles Hewitt
South Koreans watch live footage of the country's third attempt to launch a rocket, at a railway station in Seoul on January 30, 2013. A positive outcome after successive failures in 2009 and 2010 was critical to ensuring the future of South Korea's launch programme and realising its ambition of membership of an elite global space club.

South Korea succeeded Wednesday in its third attempt to put a satellite into orbit, in a high-stakes test of national pride after arch-rival North Korea got there first with a rocket launch last month.

The 140-tonne Korea Space Launch Vehicle (KSLV-I) blasted off at 4:00 pm (0700 GMT) from the Naro Space Center on the south coast, reaching its target altitude nine minutes later and deploying its payload satellite.

A positive outcome after successive failures in 2009 and 2010 was critical to ensuring the future of South Korea's launch programme and realising its ambition of joining an elite global space club.

Scientists and officials at the space centre cheered, applauded and hugged each other as the satellite was released.

In the capital, hundreds gathered in front of a giant television screen in the main train station cheered as the rocket blasted off, and again when the satellite deployment was confirmed.

"After analysing various data, the Naro rocket successfully put the science satellite into designated orbit," Science Minister Lee Ju-Ho told reporters at the space centre.

"This is the success of all our people," Lee said.

In the early hours of Thursday morning, Yonhap news agency reported that the satellite had successfully made contact with a ground station in Daejeon, citing officials at the city's Satellite Technology Research Center.

Initially scheduled for October 26, Wednesday's launch had been twice postponed for technical reasons.

The delay meant that rival North Korea was able to claim a rare technological victory over the South by launching a satellite into orbit on a three-stage rocket on December 12.

Graphic showing the site for South Korea's successful launch of a rocket to put a satellite in orbit Wednesday.

South Korea was a late entrant to the high-cost world of space technology and exploration, and repeated failures had raised questions over the viability of the launch programme.

"This success has put the country's entire rocketry programme back on track," said independent space analyst Morris Jones.

"They were under enormous pressure, given the earlier failures and the North's success last month, and this will give them confidence and, of course, secure critical political and financial support for the future," Jones said.

But South and North Korea remain way behind Asian powers with a proven track record of multiple launches—China, Japan and India.

The North's launch was condemned by the international community as a disguised ballistic missile test, resulting in tightened UN sanctions that in turn triggered a threat by Pyongyang to carry out a nuclear test.

Wednesday's mission was the last under the South's current agreement with Russia, which agreed to provide the first stage for a maximum of three rockets.

Seoul's space ambitions were restricted for many years by its main military ally the United States, which feared that a robust missile or rocket programme would accelerate a regional arms race, especially with North Korea.

After joining the Missile Technology Control Regime in 2001, South Korea made Russia its go-to space partner, but the relationship has not been an easy one.

In 2009 faulty release mechanisms on the rocket's second stage prevented proper deployment of the satellite.

The Korea Space Launch Vehicle on its launch pad, on January 28, 2013. South Korea launched a rocket Wednesday in its third bid to put a satellite in orbit—a high-stakes challenge to national pride after rival North Korea succeeded in the same mission last month.

The second effort in 2010 saw the rocket explode two minutes into its flight, with both Russia and South Korea blaming each other.

South Korea has committed itself to developing a totally indigenous three-stage, liquid-fuelled rocket capable of carrying a 1.5-tonne payload into orbit.

President Lee Myung-Bak hailed the launch as the first step towards opening an "era of space science".

"We took the first step toward opening an era of space science in earnest," he said in a message read by his spokesman. "We should make this an opportunity to elevate (South Korea's) national power by a notch."

Following Wednesday's launch, Kim Seung-Jo, president of the Korea Aerospace Research Institute, said it could have an operating prototype as early as 2018.

It is still unclear if South Korea intends to commercialise its launch vehicles once an indigenous carrier is developed.

"That would take at least seven years, developing a prototype and then building up a launch track record to attract commercial clients," Jones said.

burs-pdh/bm

Explore further: First-of-its-kind NASA space-weather project

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

S. Korea poised for high-stake rocket launch

Jan 29, 2013

South Korea was poised Wednesday for its third bid to send a satellite into orbit—a watershed moment for the future of the country's space programme and a high-stakes challenge to national pride.

S. Korea sets new window for rocket launch

Oct 29, 2012

South Korea said Monday it would make another attempt to send a satellite into space next month after a scheduled rocket launch last week was cancelled because of a technical glitch.

S. Korea satellite rocket launch Jan 30-Feb 8

Jan 16, 2013

South Korea will make another bid at the end of this month to put a satellite in orbit and gain entry to an elite global space club that includes Asian powers China, India and Japan.

South Korean rocket launch set for Jan 30

Jan 24, 2013

South Korea confirmed Thursday that it will make another bid on January 30 to put a satellite in orbit and join an elite club of global space powers that includes China, Japan and India.

South Korean rocket launch suspended

Nov 29, 2012

South Korean space officials suspended a crucial rocket launch Thursday, after a technical problem halted the countdown just 17 minutes before the scheduled blast-off.

S. Korea postpones rocket launch to 2013

Dec 03, 2012

South Korea has postponed its third bid to put a satellite in orbit until next year, after a technical problem forced the cancellation of last week's scheduled launch, an official said Monday.

Recommended for you

Kazakh satellite to be launched into orbit

17 hours ago

Kazakhstan's first-ever Earth observation satellite is to be fired into orbit next week from the European spaceport in Kourou in French Guiana, launch company Arianespace said.

Habitable exoplanets are bad news for humanity

20 hours ago

Last week, scientists announced the discovery of Kepler-186f, a planet 492 light years away in the Cygnus constellation. Kepler-186f is special because it marks the first planet almost exactly the same size as Earth ...

First-of-its-kind NASA space-weather project

Apr 23, 2014

A NASA scientist is launching a one-to-two-year pilot project this summer that takes advantage of U.S. high-voltage power transmission lines to measure a phenomenon that has caused widespread power outages ...

User comments : 0

More news stories

Habitable exoplanets are bad news for humanity

Last week, scientists announced the discovery of Kepler-186f, a planet 492 light years away in the Cygnus constellation. Kepler-186f is special because it marks the first planet almost exactly the same size as Earth ...

Professional and amateur astronomers join forces

(Phys.org) —Long before the term "citizen science" was coined, the field of astronomy has benefited from countless men and women who study the sky in their spare time. These amateur astronomers devote hours ...

Kazakh satellite to be launched into orbit

Kazakhstan's first-ever Earth observation satellite is to be fired into orbit next week from the European spaceport in Kourou in French Guiana, launch company Arianespace said.

Google+ boss leaving the company

The executive credited with bringing the Google+ social network to life is leaving the Internet colossus after playing a key role there for nearly eight years.