US sets announcement on Google antitrust probe

Jan 03, 2013
Google headquarters in Mountain View, California on Septmeber 2, 2011. US regulators scheduled an announcement Thursday on their lengthy antitrust probe of Google, amid reports a voluntary settlement was likely.

US regulators scheduled an announcement Thursday on their lengthy antitrust probe of Google, amid reports a voluntary settlement was likely.

chairman Jon Leibowitz was to make the announcement at 1300 EST (1800 GMT) "concerning the investigation of , one of the largest technology companies in the world, for alleged anticompetitive conduct," an FTC statement said.

The and other media said Google was preparing to agree to a settlement that calls for unspecified changes in how it handles , but would stop short of signing a consent decree that could be enforced by a court.

These settlements would not necessarily affect a separate review of Google's practices in the European Union, or by several US states, which would be able to bring their own enforcement actions.

In recent days, Google rivals have said the FTC would be too soft if it allowed Google to escape a court-ordered remedy.

Critics point out that Google controls some 70 percent of the Internet search market—and the advertising that goes along with it—and may exert even more power in the mobile sector by controlling the Android operating system used on two-thirds of smartphones.

Google has been accused of "scraping" content from other services like travel and restaurant reviews while keeping consumers on its own sites.

It is also under fire for allegedly promoting its own services—including travel, restaurant reviews and YouTube videos—in its search results.

European Union competition watchdogs began an investigation into Google in 2010 and the FTC opened its own probe into the company's lucrative search and advertising business in June 2011.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

US eyes Google antitrust settlement

Dec 17, 2012

US regulators are likely to conclude a lengthy antitrust probe of Google's dominance of Internet searches with a voluntary settlement, news reports said Monday.

EU to seek Google anti-trust accord: Almunia (Update)

Dec 18, 2012

The European Union will seek an accord with US Internet search giant Google as progress has been made in resolving EU anti-trust concerns, EU Competition Commissioner Joaquin Almunia said Tuesday.

Google faces moment of truth on monopoly probe

Oct 21, 2012

Google faces a moment of truth in the coming weeks over a lengthy US probe into potential abuse of its Internet search dominance, amid regulatory woes on both sides of the Atlantic.

FTC hires outside lawyer to steer Google probe

Apr 27, 2012

(AP) -- The Federal Trade Commission has hired a prominent trial lawyer to oversee its broad investigation into Google's business practices, signaling the agency is troubled by what it has discovered so far in its year-old ...

Google under scrutiny over search dominance

Sep 20, 2011

Google's executive chairman Eric Schmidt will take center stage at a Senate hearing Wednesday into whether the Internet giant is abusing its dominant position in online search.

Google facing wide-ranging US antitrust probe

Jun 23, 2011

The US Federal Trade Commission is poised to open a formal antitrust probe into whether Internet search giant Google has abused its dominance on the Web, The Wall Street Journal reported Thursday.

Recommended for you

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

18 hours ago

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.