Ericsson posts Q4 loss, but sales up

Jan 31, 2013 by Karl Ritter

Wireless equipment maker Ericsson posted a 6.46 billion kronor ($1.02 billion) loss in the fourth quarter due to a massive one-time charge, but said Thursday its sales rose 5 percent as mobile operators invested in broadband networks.

Ericsson shares rose 9 percent to 73.10 kronor in Stockholm after the report, which was stronger than many investors had expected, before ending the day up 7.6 percent at 74 kronor.

Stockholm-based Ericsson is the world's top supplier of the infrastructure needed to build mobile broadband networks. Its fourth-quarter loss compared with a net profit of 1.15 billion kronor in the same period in 2011.

But an even bigger loss had been expected after Ericsson announced last month that it would take a 8 billion kronor charge related to semiconductor manufacturer ST-Ericsson. That announcement came after Switzerland-based STMicroelectronics said it wanted out of the joint venture.

Ericsson said its fourth-quarter sales jumped to 66.9 billion kronor, from 63.7 billion kronor a year earlier, driven by investments in mobile broadband networks in North America in Japan.

"Throughout 2012 North America was our strongest market, driven by continued mobile broadband investments and demand for services," CEO Hans Vestberg said. "However, regions such as South East Asia and Oceania and Sub-Saharan Africa gradually improved during the year."

Ericsson last year pulled out of a joint mobile phone venture with Sony Corp., after struggling to compete with Apple, Samsung and Nokia.

Ericsson's competitors in the network infrastructure business include Alcatel-Lucent of France, China's Huawei and Nokia Siemens Networks, a Finnish-German joint venture.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Sales of handset arm lifts Sweden's Ericsson in QI

Apr 25, 2012

(AP) -- LM Ericsson, the world-leading wireless equipment maker in terms of market share, saw its first quarter profits more than double, largely on the back of proceeds made from the sale of its stake in handset maker Sony ...

Sweden's Ericsson says Q4 profits dropped

Jan 25, 2012

(AP) -- LM Ericsson, the world-leading wireless equipment maker in terms of market share, on Wednesday shocked the market by posting a much worse-than-expected fourth-quarterly result, mainly blaming operators for turning ...

Ericsson reports profit leap, shares slump

Jul 21, 2011

Swedish telecom equipment maker Ericsson reported Thursday a 65 percent jump in second quarter net profit on strong sales but this still fell short of expectations and its shares slumped.

Profits plunge in Q2 for Sweden's Ericsson

Jul 18, 2012

(AP) — Swedish wireless equipment maker LM Ericsson saw its second-quarter profits slashed to almost a third as sales of network infrastructure slowed in China and Russia and the company focused on the ...

Sony Ericsson profits down in 3rd quarter

Oct 14, 2011

Mobile phone maker Sony Ericsson posted a break-even third quarter Friday - blaming the drop in earnings on higher taxes and lower margins - and announced that it is shifting its entire portfolio to smartphones next year.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

9 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

14 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

15 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.