Zynga eyes ante into Nevada gambling scene

Dec 06, 2012
Social games pioneer Zynga confirmed Wednesday that it has taken a baby step into real-money gaming in the state that is home to casino-rich Las Vegas. Zynga said that it has applied to the Nevada Gaming Control Board for a "preliminary finding of suitability" that would clear the way to seek a license to let players of its online games bet real cash.

Social games pioneer Zynga confirmed Wednesday that it has taken a baby step into real-money gaming in the state that is home to casino-rich Las Vegas.

Zynga said that it has applied to the Nevada Gaming Control Board for a "preliminary finding of suitability" that would clear the way to seek a license to let players of its bet real cash.

"This filing continues our strategic effort to enter regulated RMG (real money gaming) markets in a prudent way," Zynga chief revenue officer Barry Cottle said in an email statement.

"As we've said previously, the broader US market is an opportunity that's further out on the horizon based on legislative developments, but we are preparing for a regulated market."

Zynga expected it to take a year to 18 months before the outcome of the application is known and did not reveal whether it intended to pursue a Nevada gambling license of any kind if it is successful.

Poker and casino style games are among popular Zynga titles.

The Nevada move came less than two months after Zynga announced a partnership with RMG operator Bwin.party to run poker, roulette, blackjack and other virtual casino games in Britain.

RMG games from Zynga should be available for play in Britain in the first half of next year, according to Cottle.

"Partnering with an established leader like Bwin.party is a strategic and prudent way for us to enter a key RMG market while giving local players the real money games they've been asking us for," Cottle said when the partnership was announced.

In October, Zynga began trimming workers, shuttering studios and shelving older titles to get in financial shape for the long term.

Zynga was "parting ways" with five percent of its approximately 3,300 full-time workers and dumping 13 games, along with significantly cutting its investment in "The Ville" franchise.

The cost-cutting measures are intended to let Zynga focus on more promising games and ramp up its network on the Web and on mobile devices.

Zynga rose to stardom by tailoring games for play by friends on Facebook and went on to create its own online playground at zynga.com.

Explore further: It's down to the wire for online shopping

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Zynga sues French startup over "Ville" game

May 08, 2012

Zynga is out to strip "Ville" from the name of a social game made by French firm Kobojo on the grounds it piggybacks on a line of its titles including "CityVille" and "FarmVille."

Zynga sued over patent infringement

Aug 17, 2011

(AP) -- Zynga Inc., the maker of popular online games such as "FarmVille" and "CityVille," is being sued for patent infringement by a Texas gaming startup.

Recommended for you

It's down to the wire for online shopping

57 minutes ago

As the holiday shopping season winds down, FedEx, UPS and online retailers are using the last few days to try to avoid the problems that occurred last year when severe winter weather and a surge in late orders ...

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

Dec 21, 2014

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.