Netflix moves to block a hostile takeover (Update)

Nov 05, 2012
In this Oct. 11, 2007 file photo, private equity investor Carl Icahn speaks at the World Business Forum in New York. On Monday, Nov. 5, 2012, Netflix announced it is moving to protect itself against hostile takeovers, less than a week after activist investor Carl Icahn disclosed that he has accumulated a stake of nearly 10 percent in the online video company. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan, file)

(AP)—Netflix is moving to protect itself against hostile takeovers, less than a week after activist investor Carl Icahn disclosed that he has accumulated a stake of nearly 10 percent in the online video company.

Netflix Inc. said Monday that it has adopted a shareholder rights plan, also known as a poison pill. Such a plan is designed to make it difficult or even impossible for someone to take over the company without an agreement from the board. When the provision is triggered, additional shares flood the market and make it prohibitively expensive for a takeover.

Netflix said the provision is triggered if a person or group acquires 10 percent of Netflix, or 20 percent in the case of institutional investors, in a deal not approved by the board. The Los Gatos, California-company said that its plan isn't intended to interfere with a board-approved transaction.

"Adopting a rights plan is a very reasonable thing to do in light of the recent accumulation of a lot of Netflix stock by an activist shareholder," spokesman Jonathan Friedland said.

Icahn disclosed last Wednesday that he spent $14 billion on his 10 percent stake. The documents he filed didn't disclose why Icahn and his investment funds have been buying 5.5 million Netflix shares since early September. But it's likely that he would press Netflix to make dramatic changes to boost its stock price.

The company has been stumbling since it raised its U.S. prices by as much as 60 percent last year. That triggered a backlash that resulted in the loss of hundreds of thousands customers and raised concerns on Wall Street that CEO Reed Hastings would have trouble paying for an ambitious plan to expand the company's service into dozens of other countries.

There is some cause for worry. Netflix's earnings through the first nine months of this year have fallen by 95 percent from last year. The company also issued a fourth-quarter forecast that indicated the company might end up with a loss for the full year. This would be Netflix's first annual loss in a decade.

The rights plan expires on Nov. 2, 2015. In a regulatory filing Monday, Icahn called the adoption of a poison pill without a shareholder vote "an example of poor corporate governance."

Netflix shares fell 35 cents to $76.55 in midday trading. The stock has traded in the 52-week range of $52.81 to $133.43. The stock peaked at close to $305 nearly 16 months ago.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

5 /5 (1 vote)
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Battle for Lions Gate ends with Icahn selling

Aug 30, 2011

(AP) -- Activist investor Carl Icahn said Tuesday that he is shedding his entire stake in Lions Gate Entertainment Corp., ending a more than two-year battle for control and sending shares of the niche movie studio tumbling ...

Netflix strikes movie deal with Weinstein Co.

Feb 21, 2012

(AP) -- Netflix has locked up the right to show "The Artist" and other movies from The Weinstein Co. on its Internet video service before the films are released to the leading pay-TV channels.

Netflix to stream movies, shows in Latin America

Jul 05, 2011

(AP) -- Netflix is expanding its movie and TV show streaming service into 43 countries throughout Latin America in the online movie rental company's largest international expansion yet.

Netflix unveils video service in UK, Ireland

Jan 09, 2012

(AP) -- Netflix's Internet video service made its debut in the United Kingdom and Ireland Monday as part of a previously announced expansion that is expected to saddle the company with its first annual loss in a decade.

Netflix seeks to raise at least $400 million

Nov 22, 2011

Netflix raised $400 million Monday as the video subscription service tries to recover from a customer backlash that has battered its stock and tarnished its brand.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

1 hour ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

6 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

7 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

21 hours ago

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 1

Adjust slider to filter visible comments by rank

Display comments: newest first

hemitite
not rated yet Nov 05, 2012
A sure sign that the economy is improving.

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.