Megaupload boss plans relaunch on raid anniversary

Nov 01, 2012
Megaupload boss Kim Dotcom, pictured in February 2012, Thursday revealed plans to relaunch his file-sharing empire in January on the anniversary of his arrest in New Zealand on online piracy charges.

Megaupload boss Kim Dotcom Thursday revealed plans to relaunch his file-sharing empire in January on the anniversary of his arrest in New Zealand on online piracy charges.

is free on bail but still fighting to the United States following a raid on his Auckland mansion on January 20, when New Zealand police arrested him as part of a major US investigation into alleged copyright theft and shut down his website Megaupload.

The 38-year-old German national announced on Twitter his plans to launch a new service called Mega, saying a teaser website had received millions of hits in just a few hours.

"One thing is sure: The world wants MEGA!," he tweeted.

Details of the planned service were scarce but the site promises to use state-of-the-art encryption methods that mean only users, not the site's administrators, know what they are uploading.

That would theoretically stop authorities from accusing administrators of knowingly aiding online piracy, the central allegation facing Dotcom.

At its peak Megaupload had attracted about four per cent of the world's or 50 million hits a day, according to the US Department of Justice.

Dotcom is due to face a court hearing in March next year which will determine if US authorities can extradite him and three co-accused on charges of , racketeering, fraud and online copyright theft.

He faces up to 20 years jail if convicted in a US court.

The FBI and allege sites netted more than $175 million in criminal proceeds and cost copyright owners more than $500 million by offering pirated copies of movies, TV shows and other content.

In September New Zealand secret agents were deemed to have acted "unlawfully" in the way in which they monitored Dotcom in the lead up to his arrest.

Explore further: Digital dilemma: How will US respond to Sony hack?

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Megaupload boss wins right to see US evidence

Aug 16, 2012

The boss of file-sharing site Megaupload has the right to see US evidence against him so he can defend a bid to extradite him from New Zealand on online piracy charges, an Auckland court ruled Thursday.

Megaupload N. Zealand extradition case delayed

Jul 10, 2012

Megaupload boss Kim Dotcom's extradition case against US authorities has been delayed until next year amid legal wrangling in New Zealand over evidence disclosure, his lawyers said Tuesday.

Megaupload offers US deal on N. Zealand extradition

Jul 11, 2012

Megaupload boss Kim Dotcom on Wednesday offered to voluntarily leave New Zealand for the United States if prosecutors agree to release funds to bankroll his defence against online piracy charges.

Megaupload boss raps Obama in musical protest

Jul 24, 2012

Megaupload boss Kim Dotcom has launched an online song attacking US President Barack Obama and urging supporters not to vote for the US leader, who he accuses of trampling on Internet freedom.

Megaupload boss allowed $49,000 monthly expenses

Mar 22, 2012

A New Zealand court granted Megaupload boss Kim Dotcom NZ$60,000 ($49,000) a month in living expenses Thursday as he awaits a US bid to extradite him on online piracy charges, reports said.

Recommended for you

Digital dilemma: How will US respond to Sony hack?

17 hours ago

The detective work blaming North Korea for the Sony hacker break-in appears so far to be largely circumstantial, The Associated Press has learned. The dramatic conclusion of a Korean role is based on subtle ...

UN General Assembly OKs digital privacy resolution

20 hours ago

The U.N. General Assembly has approved a resolution demanding better digital privacy protections for people around the world, another response to Edward Snowden's revelations about U.S. government spying.

Online privacy to remain thorny issue: survey

22 hours ago

Online privacy will remain a thorny issue over the next decade, without a widely accepted system that balances user rights and personal data collection, a survey of experts showed Thursday.

Spain: Google News vanishes amid 'Google Tax' spat

Dec 16, 2014

Google on Tuesday followed through with a pledge to shut down Google News in Spain in reaction to a Spanish law requiring news publishers to receive payment for content even if they are willing to give it away.

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.