Megaupload boss aims to lie low

Nov 06, 2012
Flamboyant Megaupload boss Kim Dotcom, seen here in Auckland in February 2012, has vowed to lie low as he awaits a US attempt to extradite him from New Zealand, fearing a backlash after making a series of high-profile announcements.

Flamboyant Megaupload boss Kim Dotcom has vowed to lie low as he awaits a US attempt to extradite him from New Zealand, fearing a backlash after making a series of high-profile announcements.

Dotcom, who communicates publicly almost exclusively through his Twitter feed, unveiled plans last week to relaunch his file-sharing empire on January 20, the first anniversary of his arrest in on online piracy charges.

A few days later, he told his 150,000 followers that he planned to revive a $400 million plan to run a fibre-optic cable from the US west coast to New Zealand, which faltered when a business consortium failed to find backers.

A spin-off of the cable plan, Dotcom tweeted, would be "free broadband for all Kiwis".

Some labelled the pledge a publicity stunt and Dotcom, who has enjoyed huge popularity in New Zealand pitching his US extradition case as a David-and-Goliath struggle, said he sensed a backlash looming.

In the past, he has said he ignored calls from his lawyers to limit his Twitter musings—which cover topics ranging from the extradition case to the US election—but indicated he was finally willing to heed their advice.

"As much as I enjoy keeping my followers informed, I have to tweet less. Dotcom media overload. #Backlash imminent," he tweeted late Monday.

The 38-year-old German national is free on bail in New Zealand ahead of an extradition hearing in March.

He faces up to 20 years jail if convicted of , racketeering, fraud and online copyright theft in a US court.

Dotcom insists he is innocent and free to start a new file-sharing venture dubbed Mega, which will run on the website www.me.ga—.ga is the associated with the west African nation Gabon.

Details of the new service are scant but a teaser website linked to www.me.ga said commonly used domains such as .com and .net were vulnerable to by US authorities.

It said the new site would also use state-of-the-art encryption methods that mean only users, not the site's administrators, know what they are uploading.

That would theoretically stop authorities from accusing administrators of knowingly aiding online , the central allegation facing Dotcom in the Megaupload case.

The FBI and US Justice Department allege Megaupload sites netted more than $175 million in criminal proceeds and cost copyright owners more than $500 million by offering pirated copies of movies, TV shows and other content.

In September New Zealand secret agents were deemed to have acted "unlawfully" in the way in which they monitored in the lead up to his arrest.

Explore further: Digital dilemma: How will US respond to Sony hack?

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Megaupload boss wins right to see US evidence

Aug 16, 2012

The boss of file-sharing site Megaupload has the right to see US evidence against him so he can defend a bid to extradite him from New Zealand on online piracy charges, an Auckland court ruled Thursday.

Megaupload N. Zealand extradition case delayed

Jul 10, 2012

Megaupload boss Kim Dotcom's extradition case against US authorities has been delayed until next year amid legal wrangling in New Zealand over evidence disclosure, his lawyers said Tuesday.

Megaupload boss allowed $49,000 monthly expenses

Mar 22, 2012

A New Zealand court granted Megaupload boss Kim Dotcom NZ$60,000 ($49,000) a month in living expenses Thursday as he awaits a US bid to extradite him on online piracy charges, reports said.

Recommended for you

Digital dilemma: How will US respond to Sony hack?

Dec 18, 2014

The detective work blaming North Korea for the Sony hacker break-in appears so far to be largely circumstantial, The Associated Press has learned. The dramatic conclusion of a Korean role is based on subtle ...

UN General Assembly OKs digital privacy resolution

Dec 18, 2014

The U.N. General Assembly has approved a resolution demanding better digital privacy protections for people around the world, another response to Edward Snowden's revelations about U.S. government spying.

Online privacy to remain thorny issue: survey

Dec 18, 2014

Online privacy will remain a thorny issue over the next decade, without a widely accepted system that balances user rights and personal data collection, a survey of experts showed Thursday.

Spain: Google News vanishes amid 'Google Tax' spat

Dec 16, 2014

Google on Tuesday followed through with a pledge to shut down Google News in Spain in reaction to a Spanish law requiring news publishers to receive payment for content even if they are willing to give it away.

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.