Smartphones drive complaints spike in Australia

Oct 29, 2012
Complaints about mobile phones to Australia's telecoms watchdog jumped nine percent in a year, accounting for two-thirds of all gripes received due to growing smartphone use, a study said on Monday.

Complaints about mobile phones to Australia's telecoms watchdog jumped nine percent in a year, accounting for two-thirds of all gripes received due to growing smartphone use, a study said on Monday.

Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman Simon Cohen said there were 122,834 mobile phone complaints in the year to June 30—an increase of nine percent on the previous year—despite overall grievances dropping two percent.

Two out of three complaints related to phones, reflecting what Cohen said was the "rising use of smartphones".

Some 89 percent of were estimated to own a in 2011—rising to 97-98 percent in the 18-44 age bracket—with the market dominated by Internet-enabled handsets made popular by Apple and Samsung.

Only Japan and South Korea are believed to have a greater level of 3G handset penetration, according to the government's Australian Communications and Media Authority.

Sketchy coverage, over-charging and other bill disputes were the most common issues, with complaints about charges rocketing 150 percent.

Cohen said the number of complaints over credit blacklisting due to unresolved telecoms debts had also increased, which he described as concerning.

"Credit listings can have very significant impacts on people, affecting applications for credit, including for housing and personal loans," the ombudsman said.

He also called for an improved system of notifying consumers when they are approaching a data or call limit, which will be required under a new telecoms consumer protection code to come into effect from 2013.

"Complaints about unexpectedly high bills and unnecessary financial over-commitment point to the urgent need for strong spend management rules, including those that are included in the new code," Cohen said.

Explore further: Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Google accused of unfair trade in S. Korea

Apr 15, 2011

South Korea's top two Internet companies filed complaints with the antitrust watchdog Friday over Google's alleged practice of stifling competition in the local mobile phone search market.

Samsung extends smartphone lead over Apple

Jul 27, 2012

Samsung extended its lead in the worldwide mobile phone market in the second quarter of 2012, as the South Korean giant doubled US rival Apple in the smartphone market, a new survey showed.

Recommended for you

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

19 minutes ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

1 hour ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

14 hours ago

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

21 hours ago

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.