(AP)—The police officer leading Britain's inquiries into the tabloid phone hacking scandal says there were more than 1,000 likely victims—up from an estimate of 702 she gave in July.
Deputy Assistant Commissioner Sue Akers also told Parliament's Home Affairs committee Tuesday that investigations into phone hacking, privacy breaches and corrupt payments could cost 40 million pounds ($63.5 million) over four years.
She said police have identified 1,069 "likely" victims of phone hacking from the 4,744 full or partial identities police were reviewing as potential victims.
The scandal erupted over revelations that staff at a tabloid owned by Rupert Murdoch had routinely hacked into the cellphone voice mail messages of people in the public eye. So far 13 people have been charged by police.
Explore further: DOJ, FBI acknowledge flawed testimony from unit