Taiwan's Foxconn to open new plant in Brazil

Sep 19, 2012

Taiwanese technology giant Foxconn said Wednesday it is set to invest $492 million to build a new facility in Sao Paulo, Brazil to produce smartphones, tablets and other electronic devices.

Foxconn said the factory is expected to start operation in 2014 and reach full capacity in 2016 with a workforce of 10,000 people.

Foxconn is the world's largest maker of and assembles products for Apple, Sony and Nokia.

The company has been working in Brazil since 2003, and already operates four factories in Latin America's biggest economy.

Tax breaks offered by the Brazilian government as well as proximity to fast-growing local markets have made Brazil an attractive alternative for manufacturing operations to China, it said.

employs about one million workers in China, roughly half of them based in its main facility in Shenzhen, which borders Hong Kong.

The company has come under the spotlight after suicides and labour unrest at its Chinese plants since 2010, which activists have blamed on tough working conditions.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Foxconn cut from Hong Kong's benchmark index

Jun 08, 2011

Foxconn International, the world's biggest contract electronics supplier, has lost its blue-chip status after being dropped from Hong Kong's Hang Seng Index (HSI), an HSI official said Wednesday.

Taiwan's Hon Hai looks to robot industry

Oct 31, 2011

The parent company of Taiwanese tech giant Foxconn plans to mass produce industrial robots as part of its efforts to cope with labour shortages and rising wages.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

11 minutes ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

5 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

6 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

19 hours ago

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.